Looks and Smiles - Sheffield Filming Locations

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 18.42.27.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 18.42.46.jpg

Filmed in The Limit Club

In the bottom photo you can see Stephen Singleton of the Sheffield bands Vice Versa and ABC

ABC lead singer Martin Fry was asked to be in it but couldn't make it on the day, so Stephen Singleton went down and took his place

For his trouble he got paid £10 plus a sandwich and a drink!

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 22.08.27.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 22.08.29.jpg

Actor Roy Haywood explains that the police incident in this scene wasn't supposed to be in the film!

The hole in the road scene was funny in respect that, Ken Loach told us to make a nuisance of ourselves. The policeman wasn't part of the script I remember saying to him we were making a film.
He looked over at the camera and said to me "Oh sh*t, I'm sorry" then walked off.
Ken Loach loved it and kept it in the film.

Actor Roy Haywood talks about the filming of this movie and why Sheffield scenes sometimes have some movie magic involved in them

The same scenes were filmed in different places.
For example when we broke into the pub to steal cigarettes, the meet up scene was on Margetson Road Parson Cross.
The actual "pub" we were in was the old Limit Club on West Street and also Colley WMC.
So the scene staggering out of the nightclub was a different place to the inside of the club.

We also heard from Steve Toyne who also appeared in the film. This is how he remembers it..

I was in the Limit club scene along with my guitarist, watching the band, got paid £12 .50 a day for 2 days if I remember correctly, remember chatting to Nort Tron who was also an extra. I can remember the band singing a song called Oxfam suit, I think they were from Barnsley.

A-1166937-1457789595-6029.jpeg.jpg

The band shown in the film playing in The Limit Club were Richard and the Taxmen who are classed as a Doncaster band on Musicbrainz (if this is incorrect can someone let us know below please?)