First World War - Sheffield Records.

Guest otterspotter

Guest otterspotter

I'm trying to track down the service record of my great uncle Frederick John Manning (born 1897 Eckington) but have not got his army service number or his regiment so am having difficulty. I suspect it was the Royal Field Artillery as his brother joined the RFA in 1914 and I think they joined up together although Fred was only 17.

Does anyone know if there are other local records available, for example newspaper reports or housing lists in which I might find some reference to him, his regiment and even his service number. I know he went to live at 61 Tyler St after getting married in 1923.

Any advice welcome.

Mick

I have checked the WW Medal rolls & there were 11 Frederick J Manning's listed & unfortunately home addresses are not shown on the Medal Roll cards. There is one which caught my eye though, Private no 59007 in the West Yorks Regiment who entered service after 1915 & was awarded Victory & Britsh medals.

None were in the RFA but one was in the Royal Garrison Artilery - Gunner No 142593 who also entered service after 1915 & was awarded Victory & British medals.

There isn't a WW1 service record for Frederick j Manning but there is one for a Charles Muss Manning born Eckington abt 1894 who was in the Royal Regiment of Artillery whose no was 26743 . He had joined Sep 1914. On leaving the Army he lived at 119 Tyler St Brightside.

All these records are on ancestry.co.uk if you are a member ; if not contact me again.

John

Guest otterspotter

Dear John

Thanks very much for this kind help. None of the above seem to be 'our' Fred. I'll keep looking. Charlie was my grandfather and I've got his service record.

All the best.