Woodthorpe. Handsworth. 1864

Guest yorkshiregal

Guest HappyLappy

Nope, bang on! Do you know of any more residences that John B Brown or William Greaves would've been attached to? Could you possibly tell me what a borough magistrate is? I saw that beside John B Brown's name? I think it has to do with law.

Magistrate = Justice of the Peacel these were important people l sure we can come up with more details, however, it's getting late here, bear with us, we'll sort out the information.

Nope, bang on! Do you know of any more residences that John B Brown or William Greaves would've been attached to? Could you possibly tell me what a borough magistrate is? I saw that beside John B Brown's name? I think it has to do with law.

Guest HappyLappy

Thank you for all your help! I have another question...do you know what William Greaves' wife's name was? I can't find it on Ancestry.ca and it seems very illusive to me.

Ann Palfreyman (1777)

I just knew those thousands of bits of paper with scribblings on would come in handy sometime of other.

Thank you for all your help! I have another question...do you know what William Greaves' wife's name was? I can't find it on Ancestry.ca and it seems very illusive to me.

A magistrate sits in judgement in a Magistrate's Court, normally as one of three sitting together. Magistrates are lay people with no formal legal qualifications. The Magistrates Court is the 'lowest' law court. Anyone arrested and charged with a crime first appears before the Magistrates. Depending on the seriousness of the offence, the Magistrates can try the case and hand down sentences of fines, or up to 6 months imprisonment. There is a Clerk of the Court who advises the Magistrates on points of law if required.

If the offence is a very serious one, the case has to be referred to the higher Crown Court, overseen by a judge. Similarly if the offence is one they can try, and the defendant is found guilty, but they believe it warrants a sentence longer than 6 months, the offender can be referred to the Crown Court for sentence.

As Justice of the Peace, they had (have?) authority in cases of public disorder to 'Read the Riot Act' to the mob, after which the military could be called in, usually in the old days in the form of the Dragoons.

Rioting was a public pastime in Sheffield in the 18th Century, so much so that the authorities got fed up with having to summon the Dragoons from York or Nottingham, and built a cavalry barracks in Sheffield.

According to the Parish Register, Record of Baptisms for the Parish Church of St Mary, Handsworth, William Earnshaw Plant, the son of William and Mary Plant was baptised on 25-12-1864. William Plant is described in the parish register as being a Coachman and as residing at Woodthorpe, which all fits. No date of birth is recorded.

Although the register records other "Plants" this entry seems to be the only baptismal entry in the register for children of William and Mary Plant.

There do not seem to be any corresponding marriage, or burial entries in contemporary records for the Parish Church of St Mary that would seem to be relevant, which would suggest that William and Mary resided in that parish for a comparatively short period of time only.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards;

N

My husband's GG-Grandfather was John Bower Brown. I see that it is mentioned that he was buried in Handsworth Churchyard. When I look up the churches in Handsworth, there is quite a list. Which churchyard is it found in?

There are only 2 churchyards in Handsworth St Marys and St Josephs which is a catholic one.

My husband's GG-Grandfather was John Bower Brown. I see that it is mentioned that he was buried in Handsworth Churchyard. When I look up the churches in Handsworth, there is quite a list. Which churchyard is it found in?

Yes it is Handsworth St Marys he is burried at. You can't miss the grave it's one of those brown marble jobs and it's big!

According to the Parish Register, Record of Burials for the Parish Church of St Mary, Handsworth, John Bower Brown, aged 74 years of Woodthorpe, was interred 25-08-1876.

Other burial records that seem relevant are:-

Mary Ann Brown, aged 77 years, of Woodthorpe Hall, interred 01-07-1873

Ulric Franz Edward Bowen Browne Greaves, aged 13 years, of Woodthorpe Hall, interred 12-04-1879

Kind regards;

N

Yes it is Handsworth St Marys he is burried at. You can't miss the grave it's one of those brown marble jobs and it's big!

Saved me a journey I thought it was that one but wasn't sure . Last time I looked at the graveyard I thought that it could do with tidying up a bit though.

I was looking around the 1911 Census to find out who was living in Woodthorpe Hall then. But I couldn't find it! I know the Gainsford family had it till around 1910, and then William Allen (the steel bloke) around 1916, but neither of them were at Woodthorpe Hall in 1911. So I'm just wondering if it wasn't being used?

It's odd because the bloke who drives the hall people around is still in the Lodge and the the Farm is in use by the Hartley family.