Royal Antediluvian Order Of Buffaloes

Oldbloke

6 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Sorry, I haven't been around a lot lately. As a Primo, he would have passed "Examining Council" and proved a knowledge of the R.A.O.B rules and customs. When he had been through his raising ceremony and received his Primo's credentials he would be eligible to be the chairman of lodge meetings.

I don't have my Great Grandfather's (2nd Degree) Primo Jewel (1919), but am told that was also solid silver. I do have his (3rd Degree) Knight Jewel (1935) and that is solid gold.

Thank You for your reply it sounds like it was an important position, Its a pity the R.A.O.B dont have any information about him or is it that they are Secretive ??. 

On 12/03/2017 at 14:36, syrup said:

Thank You for your reply it sounds like it was an important position, Its a pity the R.A.O.B dont have any information about him or is it that they are Secretive ??. 

It does mean that anywhere you go, they can ask (coerce or press-gang sometimes) you into taking over control of the lodge meeting.

I don't think the R.A.O.B. are secretive, if they had any information I'm sure they would share it. Most minute books were left in the charge of the individual minor lodges, kept in locked boxes, until the box was full, then they got lost or thrown away. Lodge officials come and go, sometimes they took books home and neither they nor the books were ever seen again. What happened when lodges closed is anybody's guess.

I've not been able to get any information about my Great Grandfather or even find out if my Grandfather ever joined the order, even though I have been a member nearly 40 years, know the people  and could ask in person, the records just don't exist.

I hope that helps.

On 03/03/2017 at 17:37, lysander said:

I used to drink the occasional "gallon" in a pub( The Harlequin) which had a lodge,. All I can recall was that they tended to be old blokes who looked rather silly as they made their way upstairs to the meeting ,only to look even sillier a while later as they gathered around the bar for a final drink before heading home. That said, they looked no sillier than those members of the more middle class Masons!.... After a little bit of googling I was surprised to learn that the Buffs are still in existence.

When would that have been?  I've drunk the occasional gallon or two there myself. :P

At one point the Harlequin had a lodge upstairs almost every night of the week and on Sunday dinnertimes too. Provincial Grand Lodge was lunchtime, the third Saturday of every month. The PGL office was up in the attics along with a band practice room inhabited by younger chaps with longer hair. :) When the Buffs weren't there, the Fellowship Of The Services were.

Some of the Buffs are/were Masons too. B)

15 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

It does mean that anywhere you go, they can ask (coerce or press-gang sometimes) you into taking over control of the lodge meeting.

I don't think the R.A.O.B. are secretive, if they had any information I'm sure they would share it. Most minute books were left in the charge of the individual minor lodges, kept in locked boxes, until the box was full, then they got lost or thrown away. Lodge officials come and go, sometimes they took books home and neither they nor the books were ever seen again. What happened when lodges closed is anybody's guess.

I've not been able to get any information about my Great Grandfather or even find out if my Grandfather ever joined the order, even though I have been a member nearly 40 years, know the people  and could ask in person, the records just don't exist.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for that information, i may never know as i only have the Jewel it would have been nice to muse over the minutes but chances are i would not have understood them ??

Oh, you'd understand them, but they are pretty trivial records of what happened at the lodge meeting. Writing them is somewhat of an art form, making sure that what is read back a week later conforms to the rules, rather than what actually may have happened. :P