Manor Estate In The 1930's

RichardB

£7.95, o bids, 4 days (not bidding) - here

A PORTRAIT OF THE MANOR IN THE 1930'S

by Malcolm Mercer

A superb selection of memories from people who grew up and lived on the Manor Estate in the 1930s.

Illustrated with old photographs that really capture life on the estate at that time.

A great read for anyone with a local interest.

190 pages A5 format in very good clean condition throughout published in 1999 and now difficult to find.

Sounds like a good book for history dude

However,

It says the book was published in 1999 and is now hard to find.

Is it Ecckerslike!

I have seen new copies of it for sale in local bookshops and in The Star shop

It is a lot more common than the illusive Pauline Shearstone book on the history of Gleadless.

..and I bet history dude already has a copy of it.

I'm not throwing a teenage strop, just putting the vendors description up as an item of possible interest (I'd never heard of it, but then ... :wacko: )

Sounds like a good book for history dude

However,

It says the book was published in 1999 and is now hard to find.

Is it Ecckerslike!

I have seen new copies of it for sale in local bookshops and in The Star shop

It is a lot more common than the illusive Pauline Shearstone book on the history of Gleadless.

..and I bet history dude already has a copy of it.

I'm not throwing a teenage strop, just putting the vendors description up as an item of possible interest (I'd never heard of it, but then ... :wacko: )

It is an interesting book, - it's about the Manor estate in Sheffield! ;-)

Just pointing out that the book is still available new, - not sure about the price though.

Your right I do have a copy! ;-)

Malcom was part of the Manor Memories history group that used to meet up at Stand House School. He has also written some books on education, being an ex headmaster! He was telling me once during a Memories meeting about one of the educational books he was having published. It was being published by one of the Universities in Sheffield. He had written a common phrase used to describe bad pupils around the 30's I think it was, in the text of the book. The phrase was "young turks" but the Uni people said it wasn't acceptable (PC) wise, so it had to go! He said they took ages to print it as the University material had priority.

Not seen him for ages so I hope he's well. :)

Your right I do have a copy! ;-)

Malcom was part of the Manor Memories history group that used to meet up at Stand House School. He has also written some books on education, being an ex headmaster! He was telling me once during a Memories meeting about one of the educational books he was having published. It was being published by one of the Universities in Sheffield. He had written a common phrase used to describe bad pupils around the 30's I think it was, in the text of the book. The phrase was "young turks" but the Uni people said it wasn't acceptable (PC) wise, so it had to go! He said they took ages to print it as the University material had priority.

Not seen him for ages so I hope he's well. :)

I guessed you would have the book, and had I realised the author was in a local history group I may also have added that you probably knew the author as well.

Before I get more trouble from Richard am I right that the book is still freely available?

I am sure I have seen it in local shops recently.

Does "Young Turks" really mean BAD students?

The term is taken from the "young Turks" of the old Ottoman Empire who were perceived as troublesome but in reality they were progressive, modernistic and forward thinking. To old authority resistant to change of any sort they would be "trouble" and "bad", but in an ever changing World they would be seen as the sort of people we need for the future.

I must admit we have much worse terms to describe bad students these days, many of which cannot be used on an open Internet Forum.

He also covered Sailing by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, wobbled on a bout The Killing of Georgie (Parts 1 and 2), had Hot Legs (apparently) and asked "Does my bum look big in this ?"

though one of these is made up and all are irrelevant he he

His cover of Hendrix#s "Angel" was quite good.

Rod Stewart recorded a song by the same name

It didn't actually have the phrase "Young Turks" in the lyrics anywhere.

Rod Stewart recorded a song by the same name

It didn't actually have the phrase "Young Turks" in the lyrics anywhere.

I wonder why?

Perhaps the phrase was / is offensive after all :huh:

He also covered Sailing by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, wobbled on a bout The Killing of Georgie (Parts 1 and 2), had Hot Legs (apparently) and asked "Does my bum look big in this ?"

though one of these is made up and all are irrelevant he he

His cover of Hendrix#s "Angel" was quite good.

I think the one you are calling "Does my bum look big in this?" is actually called "Do you think I'm sexy?"