Wadsley Churchyard Grave Solomon Griffin

Guest Solomon's Niece

Guest Solomon's Niece

My great uncle Solomon Griffin died of wounds at Wharncliffe War Hospital on 16th August 1916, and is buried in Wadsley Churchyard Row 5A Grave 1.

Would anyone be able to post a photo of his gravesite for me? I live in Australia, and hope to visit Uncle Sol one day.

Guest Solomon's Niece

Thank you so much Meersbrook!

I have a copy of the wire from Red Cross sent to Uncle Sol's parents (in December,1916) responding to their enquiry, and informing them of Sol's death. They were not ever able to visit his grave.

Also thank you, Dean. I had found that photo on the Roll, and actually I have a copy of it myself, which came to me from my Grandfather, (Sol's brother), as well as some letters which Uncle Sol wrote to him.

Lance Corporal Solomon Clive Griffin, Australian Infantry, A.I.F., 47th Battalion, Service number 4170, Grave/Memorial number 3.

Son of William and Honoria Louisa Griffin, of Thorpdale, Via Jackson, Queensland. Born in New South Wales.

www.cwgc.org

A friend of mine emailed me as below.

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 10:54 PM

Subject: SOLOMON CLIVE GRIFFIN-WADSLEY CHURCHYARD.

Andy,

You have someone enquiring about the grave of their uncle, above. I'm in The Royal British Legion and I'll put a poppy on Uncle Sol's grave this Remberance Sunday and get a photo for them. Perhaps you could post accordingly.

Best

Ron

A very fine idea.

A friend of mine emailed me as below.

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 10:54 PM

Subject: SOLOMON CLIVE GRIFFIN-WADSLEY CHURCHYARD.

Andy,

You have someone enquiring about the grave of their uncle, above. I'm in The Royal British Legion and I'll put a poppy on Uncle Sol's grave this Remberance Sunday and get a photo for them. Perhaps you could post accordingly.

Best

Ron

Guest Solomon's Niece

I am thrilled with your offer to place a poppy on Uncle Sol's grave, and I thank you very, very much, Ron. Thank you too Andy, for passing on the message.

Uncle Sol told his mother when he left to fight, that if he was wounded he would not allow his limbs to be amputated. He was wounded in the thigh, and because of his refusal to have an amputation, he died.

He was not married, and had no children. By all accounts he loved Thorpedale, and his family, and, like so many other brave men, it is very sad that his last resting place is so far from home.

Guest Solomon's Niece

Today I discovered in the Australian National Archives records that Uncle Sol was exhumed and re-interred. There are two letters - both dated 19th April, 1920 - the first (not on letterhead) states that he was buried in Grave number 42, Section D.D. 4; while the second letter (on AIF letterhead) states that he is in grave 8, H plot, row 19. There is also a letter from his mother on record, requesting that his memorial stone bear a cross, so I presume that his parents wished him to be reburied, and that his grave has a headstone.

The record, like so many others, makes for sad reading. He was wounded in battle in Pozieres, and died of shock and septic infection AFTER HIS LEG WAS AMPUTATED.

Guest Solomon's Niece

I have received an email from David Atkinson, the Wadsley Church Warden, an extract from which I have included below. It seems that Uncle Sol lies in Grave 42 Section DD

"Good Evening Leigh i have found your uncles records the details are

he was in 47 Battalion Australians he died 1916 26 years of age he is in the 1908 section of the grave yard dd42 there is a small gate on Vainor road Sheffield 6 the grave is three rows from the gate entrance towards Airdale road 5 graves in from the wall i will go and find it this week you may be able to google earth the grave yard . A few years ago we had two ladies from Uladula near Sydney looking for their great grand fathers grave we found out that he had a stainded glass window in memorial of him they where over whelmed by it but we did not find the grave till last year and we found out that he was a farmer and that he owned the land that our houses where built on and most of the surounding area. small world isnt it"

After a couple of fruitless attempts by Ron and myself, I have at last got something to show.

The exact grave, according to what is written above,

I will PM you Solomon's Niece before posting the pictures I took