Strange Stone - Any Ideas?

mike142sl

Whilst re building our back wall (behind the scout hut) we found this intriguing stone. It was laid front to back with only the narrow end showing at the front - which is why it has moss growing on it. Anyone any idea what it might have been made for? It's not big enough for a gate post and is tapered rather than straight, so it's been worked into this shape. It looks like it might have come from a huge arch!

(The wall was dry stone, unfortunately we don't have the skills or all of the stones left to re build it as such!!! - apologies to the purists)

Could be what is known as a tie stone,

most of the dry stone walls in our area are double sided,

tie stones were added at various points and spanned the wall from one side through to the other side,

they were used to add strength to the wall.

The first job I had was working on a farm, and I did some dry stone walling around Fox House

rebuilding damaged walls,

I would say that due to my inexperience of the trade, most of my repair work would not have lasted very long.

Dry stone, Wiki. scroll down to Construction

It was certainly being used as a tie-stone, but they tended to be ordinary irregular stones rather than purposefully shaped like this one. It also stuck out quite a bit into the bank behind the wall.

It was certainly being used as a tie-stone, but they tended to be ordinary irregular stones rather than purposefully shaped like this one. It also stuck out quite a bit into the bank behind the wall.

Could it possibly be a step for a stile ?.

Not an uncommon sight Mike to see tie stones that protrude out from the face of a dry stone wall

Could it possibly be a step for a stile ?.

Stiles are usually associated to footpaths, wonder if there was a path nearby ?

i recently took down and rebuilt a dry stone wall and it was full of different shaped pieces. Some were stone roof tiles and bits of a drain some stretchers, loads of faced walling stones in fact the wall was built from any old rubbish they had knocking about.