Australian Munition Worker

dunsbyowl1867

Guest binsted71

Henry Valentine RYAN, a “Gas Stoker”, died in Firvale Hospital and was buried in plot number JJ 3348 on 15th November 1918. The officiating minister was G. G. Hackforth. I don’t have any other information.

Munitions worker no. 397. Worked at Vickers Limited, Sheffield from 24/08/1917

Died of Bronchial Pneumonia following Influenza

Guest binsted71

Henry Valentine RYAN.

At his funeral on 15th November 1918, he was bade farewell by eighty fellow Australian colleagues who had worked alongside him at Vickers Ltd. at Brightside.

His war record is well documented, but does have questions unanswered. There are two records for such a unique name as his, yet both of them were of the same age, same medical detail and from the same background and a very similar signature.

One enlisted during August 1915 and was posted to the U.K., where after five months he was reported as a deserter, with a warrant issued for his apprehension.

Our Henry Valentine Ryan had, like his namesake served in the Boer War and with the Railways. On enlisting in New South Wales in February 1917 as War Worker number 397 on 26th February 1917, he stated that he had returned from South Africa, where he had been working on the Imperial Railway at the outbreak of war.

He arrived in the U.K. at Plymouth aboard the “A235 Suffolk” on 12th August 1917 after a 90 day voyage from Sydney and started work at Vickers as a plate layer earning £2.0.6d for a 54 hour week. He had accommodation in the wooden huts built along Petre Street.

The climate in Sheffield caused him many bronchial problems and it was at his Doctor’s surgery that he met and became engaged to the receptionist, Miss Agnes Smith. He requested that he be transferred to work in a cleaner climate like that at Bristol, however, while this was being considered he was admitted to Firvale Hospital, where on 6th November 1918 he died of Pneumonic influenza.

The funeral arrangements were made by John Heath & Sons, at a cost of £8.15.0d. Vickers had sent men to the cemetery to dig the grave as there was an acute shortage of gravediggers at the time as able men had gone away to war and the influenza epidemic had arrived.

He is remembered on the Australian National War Memorial.

From Albert Jackson’s book, "Victims of The Great War".

Brilliant thanks

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s12659%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOU11bml0aW9uX0h1dHMlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=

John William Starkie was another Munitions worker who died on 8th January 1917. He worked at Cammell Laird Sheffield and all i know is that he was 'Killed in an Accident'. Has anyone got another information on him ?

John William Starkie was another Munitions worker who died on 8th January 1917. He worked at Cammell Laird Sheffield and all i know is that he was 'Killed in an Accident'. Has anyone got another information on him ?

I'm sure you know this?

John William Starkie

of Garnett St, Nelson

Yeah I did know that thanks, but, I know nothing else and it makes me wonder how many more there are that we don't know about?