Thomas Glossop Safety Razor

AnnieR

Thought you might like to see this advert for my great grandfather's patent kno-cut razor. I'm hoping to get a photo of the actual razor when I go and see him in a couple of weeks

I remember going to the shop in the Norfolk Market Hall, it always smelt of flowers. There was a florist nearby. The shop moved to the Castle Market when it opened. I used to work on the penknife and razor part of the shop Saturdays and school holidays in the late 60's. That shop used to smell of mint humbugs from Mr Cook's sweet stall and also of fish as it was at the bottom of the fish market steps.

I remember going to the shop in the Norfolk Market Hall, it always smelt of flowers. There was a florist nearby. The shop moved to the Castle Market when it opened. I used to work on the penknife and razor part of the shop Saturdays and school holidays in the late 60's. That shop used to smell of mint humbugs from Mr Cook's sweet stall and also of fish as it was at the bottom of the fish market steps.

According to the 1965 Kelly's directory Glossops had three shops in the Castle Mkt;

on the lower ground floor.

68/69, Thos Glossop & Sons Ltd, Cutlers.

110, Thos Glossop & Sons Ltd, Cutlers.

112, Thos Glossop & Sons Ltd, Cutlers.

110 was the one next to Cook & Pitchfork, confectioners.

68/69 were along the side wall at the bottom of the fish market steps on the lower ground floor. 110 and 112 were 3 sides of the block opposite. One part sold fancy goods and plastic flowers - I refused to work on that bit!

We also sold trophies and plaques and did engraving for sports clubs etc.

I seem to remember a stall called Regina's that sold handbags as well.

Possible : Thomas Glossop, Razor Scale presser, Mary Street & 71 St. Mary's Road (1893)

Thought you might like to see this advert for my great grandfather's patent kno-cut razor. I'm hoping to get a photo of the actual razor when I go and see him in a couple of weeks

Thomas Glossop, Razor Scale Manufacturer, horn and waste dealer, 7 & 8 Norfolk Market Hall, factory Harmer Lane, home Pattysbrooke, Dore (1905)

Possible : Thomas Glossop, Razor Scale presser, Mary Street & 71 St. Mary's Road (1893)

Thomas Glossop, Cutlery Manufacturer, 7 & 8 Norfolk Market Hall; factory Harmer Lane; home Pattysbrook, Totley Rise (1911)

Thomas Glossop & Sons, Cutlery Manufacturers, 18 Newington Road, home Pattysbrook, Totley Rise (1919)

Thomas Glossop & Sons, Cutlery Manufacturer, home Pattysbrook, Brinkburn Vale Road, Dore (1925)

also

Thomas A Glossop, Cutlery Manufacturer (Thomas Glossop & Sons), home 18 Newington Road (1925)

and

Thomas Glossop & Sons, Cutlery Manufacturers, 7, 8 & 9 Norfolk Market Hall and Harmer Lane (1925)

The wife remembers, Elsie Bagley, Elsie Wheatcroft, Nancy Parrott, miss Dungworth, and a girl called Shirley ?

I usually worked with Elsie Bagley. Miss Dungworth was there for ever! No one ever called her Hilda. If you ever went in and yawned she gave you a glass of her tonic wine! We used to walk up to Holmesfield to see her sometimes on a Sunday. I don't recall the other names but I do remember a girl called Linda.

Thomas Glossop & Sons, Cutlery Manufacturer, home Pattysbrook, Brinkburn Vale Road, Dore (1925) also Thomas A Glossop, Cutlery Manufacturer (Thomas Glossop & Sons), home 18 Newington Road (1925) and Thomas Glossop & Sons, Cutlery Manufacturers, 7, 8 & 9 Norfolk Market Hall and Harmer Lane (1925)

Correct Richard. The Thomas A Glossop at Newington Road was son of Thomas and my great uncle.

I'm happy somebody understands anything the day I've had.

Correct Richard. The Thomas A Glossop at Newington Road was son of Thomas and my great uncle.

Glossop's in the Norfolk Market Hall can just be seen in this picturesheffield image,

more or less in the center background is a sign that says something like 'Glossops Kno Cut Safety Razors'

picturesheffield v03852

Another view here, could be a shop sign in the background

picturesheffield v03851

Thanks for the links to these photos. I printed them both off to show my dad, only to discover that they were his photos that he'd donated copies of to the local studies library!!

He was so pleased to see them used.