Oldest Living Tree In Sheffield Area

History dude

There are at least 5 aerial pictures of Manor around this time. One of them shows the fields of Arbourthorne! That one shows in the distance Woodthorpe Hall, if you follow the Pit Lane down, past the pond, you can see Spring Wood Cottage. My mum who was born in one of the houses near that pond, says that a policeman called Wiggins lived in it. If you look at Prince of Wales Road you can see the houses that front onto it still, but under construction!! That big tree in the edgerow on Woodthorpe was still there in the 1970's. There's probably something left of it now.

You can imagine the chap in the bi-plane hanging out of the rear seat with his camera he he

Please tell me you have seen the Arbourthorne aerial pictures taken presumably in the late 30's on picture Sheffield?

There are at least 5 aerial pictures of Manor around this time. One of them shows the fields of Arbourthorne! That one shows in the distance Woodthorpe Hall, if you follow the Pit Lane down, past the pond, you can see Spring Wood Cottage. My mum who was born in one of the houses near that pond, says that a policeman called Wiggins lived in it. If you look at Prince of Wales Road you can see the houses that front onto it still, but under construction!! That big tree in the edgerow on Woodthorpe was still there in the 1970's. There's probably something left of it now.

You can imagine the chap in the bi-plane hanging out of the rear seat with his camera he he

Please tell me you have seen the Arbourthorne aerial pictures taken presumably in the late 30's on picture Sheffield?

I have seen one aeriel picture of the Arbourthorne taken in the mid 1930's while the estate was being built. It shows City Road, East Bank Road, Dagnam Road, Cawdor Road very clearly.

Are there others?

You refered to pictureS (plural) rather than in the singular.

I am only aware of this one.

The last one of these is the one I am previously familiar with.

Although the middle one is fairly similar, and I notice that the pub at the top of Gleadless Common, The Punch Bowl, is notable by its absence.

The first one I have not seen before, showing what appears to be a newly built school, - it's "the other Arbourthorne school" to us ex-Norfolk lads.

Our Juniour school on Brimmesfield Road was "Arbourthorne North Junior School" and this one, at the East Bank end of Eastern Avenue was "Arbourthorne Central Junior school", - they were frequently confused and received each others mail and deliveries, that sort of thing. Arbourthorne EA school (Eastern Avenue) is new in this picture but is now long gone and has been replaced with a new building. Also in this building Eastern Drive, opposite the school, seems to come to an abrupt end.

Good pictures though, nice to see them.