Bradbury / Prowse Family. Gleadless Town End

Guest kevos53

Guest kevos53

Hi, has anybody got any information on these families - they lived at Chapel Yard, Town End ? Many thanks.

Hello Kevos53, I've been away so catching up - but what year/decade/century please ? and Welcome to the Site, if no-one has said it yet.

Guest kevos53

hi richard thanks for the welcome. we are looking for any information from the beginning of the 1900,s i.e occupations ,inhabitants etc we believe they lived at number 1 chapel yard . any info would be great many thanks kevos

Huge numbers in Devon/Cornwall ...

hi richard thanks for the welcome. we are looking for any information from the beginning of the 1900,s i.e occupations ,inhabitants etc we believe they lived at number 1 chapel yard . any info would be great many thanks kevos

Mr Prowse, 211 Owler Lane from 1911 (not very useful, I'm not much use with 1911 ...) ...

Any ideas as to any first names please ? Alonzo Clement ? Ernest, Mrs Hannah ? Prowse that is.

hi, has anybody got any information on these families they lived at chapel yard town end ?many thanks

Gleadless, 1900 = Derbyshire ! Just a thought.

Gleadless, 1900 = Derbyshire ! Just a thought.

May be worth referring to Pauline Shearstones authoritive work on the history of Gleadless, - if anyone has a copy.

Gleadless Townend was so called because it was right on the border of Sheffield (Yorkshire) and Derbyshire.

We have already related several amusing stories about half day closing and pub licencing hours at Gleadless townend as it straddled the border and had different half day closing and licencing hours for shops and pubs on either side of the road.

Would Gleadless come under Norton ?? :wacko:

In 1900 Norton itself was a seperate place in North Derbyshire (in fact "Norton" means "North Town", being the most northerly place somewhere before you cross a border to somewhere else, - there are several "Nortons" throughout the country for this reason).

If you want the history of Norton than you need Harold Armitage's book "Chantrey Land" for that, - and copies of it are in plentiful supply.

Gleadless Townend is an option for location in Ancestry, doesn't find anything mind you ... !

May be worth referring to Pauline Shearstones authoritive work on the history of Gleadless, - if anyone has a copy.

Gleadless Townend was so called because it was right on the border of Sheffield (Yorkshire) and Derbyshire.

We have already related several amusing stories about half day closing and pub licencing hours at Gleadless townend as it straddled the border and had different half day closing and licencing hours for shops and pubs on either side of the road.

Gleadless Myrtles Springs, Handsworth ???

No area of expertise of mine, can anyone tell me if it's a good lead to follow please ? Could be in Cuba for all I know !

No area of expertise of mine, can anyone tell me if it's a good lead to follow please ? Could be in Cuba for all I know !

Welcome to Sheffield Cuba. B) B)

Have a large cigar and then I will get one of our guides to show you the secret missile launch site at Manor Top. B)lol :ph34r:

I think the Gleadless townend area has always been called that. You could try Hollinsend as an alternative, that is just down the road from it.

Yes in Pauline's first book there's a photo of Gleadless School Kids in 1920 with one with the name Bradbury. There are lot of mentions of the Bradbury family owning land in Gleadless in the enclosure awards of 1802. I would have thought these people are connected with the family living in the area much later on.

Yes in Pauline's first book there's a photo of Gleadless School Kids in 1920 with one with the name Bradbury. There are lot of mentions of the Bradbury family owning land in Gleadless in the enclosure awards of 1802. I would have thought these people are connected with the family living in the area much later on.

Thanks History Dude, sound like you actually own a copy of Pauline's very hard to come by book.

Thanks History Dude, sound like you actually own a copy of Pauline's very hard to come by book.

Yes I do! Mind you I do now live not a million miles from Townend!

Looking at the rest of the book it looks like the Bradbury family, sometimes spelt Bradberry, where in the Gleadless area perhaps back to Tudor times, as Yeoman farmers.

Yes I do! Mind you I do now live not a million miles from Townend!

I live very close to townend too History Dude, and I go up there fairly frequently as well as driving through it every morning on my way to work.

When I go there from now on I will keep an eye out for a bloke that looks like William Shakespeare! lol

Coming in about 10 years too late for this topic which I found as I was searching for Chapel Yard   
walter Bradbury and his wife, my great aunt, Nellie Louisa Prowse, were resident at Chapel Yard on the 1939 register. Also there were their sons James and William and there are two blocked out records who are likely Peter and Marcus. 

The Prowses were originally from Teigmouth Devon but a couple of them relocated to Sheffield in the late C19