Photos Of Bailey Street

Guest ridgeracer

Guest ridgeracer

Hi I have been looking for old photos of Bailey Street S1 for some time now. I am particularly interested in photos of my garage which apparently use to be the old post office garage on bailey Street. It was built in 1932 I have been told. If anyone has any photos please let me know I would be very interested to see them

Thanks for any help

Richard

Great stuff Steve - some of my ancestors- the Bramhall's (spring knife cutlers) lived on there in the 1840/50/60s - I suppose it had improved a bit by the 1950s!

Great stuff Steve - some of my ancestors- the Bramhall's (spring knife cutlers) lived on there in the 1840/50/60s - I suppose it had improved a bit by the 1950s!

One of my family also lived there in the early 60s at number 4 on Stuarts map.

When the council decided to put parking meters on the road he went to see the council to explain there are 3 houses

there and the occupants would have nowhere to park.

As councils are , they told him not to be so silly as there are no houses left in Bailey Street :o

In the end he had to ask them to bring out a street map to show them exactly where they were.

It all ended well, they got a free parking space.

Guest skeets

1. l worked on erecting an office extension to the saw works in 1947 they were owned by George Butler and Sons at the time Cheers Skeets

Number 4 seems to be right next door to me did they ever take any pictures?

There were no long shot pictures taken just family pics with a brick wall behind them.

As you went up the entry there was Albert's house on the left then facing you in the yard was two other houses.

When you went through the house to the back there was another yard and as I remember you were facing a tall

brick wall which was the back of some works which may still be there today.

It wasn't a very nice view through the living room window.

Albert who lived on his own at the side of the entry [passage ] always looked very smart sometimes

sporting a dickie bow. But his home. . . .well he used to be a horder.

He had piles and piles of newspapers and bags full of empty cans etc, he never binned anything.

One day his house caught fire and left the house inhabitable, I remember looking inside it but I can't remember

what happened to Albert.

Some of my ancestors,a gypsy family called Blewitt (various spellings) lived on Bailey Street in the 1860's and on Bailey Lane in the 1870's

Gherharham Blewitt 36

Fulahers Blewitt 28

Lyshaw Blewitt 14

Aaron Blewitt 9

Matilda Blewitt 3

Arthur Blewitt 1

Couple of names to chase there then ... 1861 Census

Some of my ancestors,a gypsy family called Blewitt (various spellings) lived on Bailey Street in the 1860's and on Bailey Lane in the 1870's

Thanks Richard,I've got that census return and also the one from 1871,but it highlights the problem of deciphering census returns when not many people could read or write,and gypsies had the particularly annoying habit (for genealogists)of changing their names whenever the mood took them!

Gherher ham's real name is Gehazi,Lyshaw is Elisha,Matilda is Jane Matilda,my great-grandma,and Arthur is also known as Athas Enoch,sometimes just Enoch.Fulahers started out as Martha,and later became Sophia.Occasionally they used the surname Revill.

I've enough evidence to prove they are the same people,but it doesn't make life easy!

i am related to the bramhalls who were spring knife cutlers can you let me know some of their names

Guest Simone Jeffcock

I am looking for information or a map of 36 Bailey Street where my family lived 1900's found census which shows them there 1911. I have been doing a project in school regarding my great uncle private William warriss killed in the Somme 1916. there was Alice, Sarah, Mary, milly, John, Florence, Mary Ann, Lily. Also Then Fosters Herbert, Sarah, George Henry. Any image.pngimage.pnginfo welcome.