William & George Allott - Convicts

Guest bill_allott

Guest bill_allott

I am trying to establish whether either of the convicts William Allott or George Allott (or both) are the sons of Thomas Allott (Button Maker) - born about 1793, died 7 Jan 1854.

Thomas had sons of the right age and name: William b. 27 July 1816 & George b. 17 Feb 1824.

William Allott was brought before the 1832 Michaelmas Quarter Session - West Riding. Result: "No Bill".

He next fronted the 1833 Epiphany Quarter Session - West Riding (date probably 9 Jan). Result: 7 years transportation.

George Allott was brought before the 1839 West Riding Sessions at Rotherham on the 8th July. Result: "Not Guilty".

Then he next appeared at the 1840 West Riding Sessions at Sheffield on the 20 March. Result: 7 years transportation.

Is there available, information from the Quarter Session records or newspapers, which might help to prove that the lads were the sons of the above Thomas.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. I am from Australia and can't get to Sheffield.

Regards

Bill

The George ALLOTT convicted in 1840 appears to be the correct age to be the son of Thomas and Hannah.

These are the baptisms for this family from the Sheffield parish church of SS Peter & Paul, later given cathedral status.

10 Mar 1824 ALLOTT George son of Thomas & Ann, Button Maker of Sheffield born 17 Feb 1824

10 Mar 1824 Sarah dau of Thomas & Ann, Button Maker of Sheffield born 2 Jan 1822

10 Mar 1824 Thomas son of Thomas & Ann Button Maker of Sheffield born 24 Dec 1819

04 Apr 1813 John son of Thomas & Ann Button Maker of Sheffield born 24 Feb 1813

25 Aug 1816 William son of Thomas & Hannah Button Maker of Sheffield born 27 Jul 1816.

There is a report in The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 21 March 1840 re George ALLOTT aged 17.I am not sure how to upload this report.

Angela

The George ALLOTT convicted in 1840 appears to be the correct age to be the son of Thomas and Hannah.

These are the baptisms for this family from the Sheffield parish church of SS Peter & Paul, later given cathedral status.

10 Mar 1824 ALLOTT George son of Thomas & Ann, Button Maker of Sheffield born 17 Feb 1824

10 Mar 1824 Sarah dau of Thomas & Ann, Button Maker of Sheffield born 2 Jan 1822

10 Mar 1824 Thomas son of Thomas & Ann Button Maker of Sheffield born 24 Dec 1819

04 Apr 1813 John son of Thomas & Ann Button Maker of Sheffield born 24 Feb 1813

25 Aug 1816 William son of Thomas & Hannah Button Maker of Sheffield born 27 Jul 1816.

There is a report in The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 21 March 1840 re George ALLOTT aged 17.I am not sure how to upload this report.

Angela

Guest bill_allott

Thanks for your input "syrup" & "bonnie". I suspect that young George's comment on being sentenced might have had something to do with the fact his brother was already in Australia. Perhaps by that period transportation was not the boogie-man of earlier days and his brother William had suggested that life in the colony was an improvement on Sheffield. If in fact these two were siblings of my ancestor Thomas, it would explain why they all died in close proximity to each other near the gold-fields of Victoria.

However unless I can find something to link them to my forbear Thomas it's all conjecture really.

Do either of you know what additional information might have been recorded at the Quarter Sessions proceedings, apart from name and offence.

Cheers

Bill

I suspect that young George's comment on being sentenced might have had something to do with the fact his brother was already in Australia.

Cheers

Bill

You might be right Bill, maybe that combined with an expectation that after six previous spells inside he would be facing a long term with hard labour?

Hi Bill,

My wife's maiden name is Allott and so, I have been looking as to whether I could link William or George to our own family, albiet without success.

The online Tasmanian Archive of convict registers does confirm that George Allott originated from Sheffield [see attached] and so, you could conclude from his stated age [17 years in 1841, that he was born in 1824 and that he is the one who was baptised 10-03-1824.

He also seems to be missing from the 1841 England Census, which would seem logical, if he was already in Tasmania.

Guest bill_allott

Hi "Unitedite Returns",

Thanks for the picture. I find the Tasmanian Archives to be a little circular! But I'll persevere now. The only way I can think of to confirm that George is a relation is if the court records or newspapers mentioned his name and his father Thomas' name (and trade - Button Maker) in the same sentence.

Best of luck with your Allott research.

Bill

Have you checked the 1841 census to see if these two brothers are still around in Sheffield...?

Have you checked out burial registers before 1840 for them.

Did they marry in Australia and if so do you have a copy of the marriage certificate with the father's name on.

Do we have a trade for either son ?

Have you checked the 1841 census to see if these two brothers are still around in Sheffield...?

Have you checked out burial registers before 1840 for them.

Did they marry in Australia and if so do you have a copy of the marriage certificate with the father's name on.

The convict registers do take some deciphering, because of the legibility of the handwriting and because of the extensive use of “official” abbreviations, but George Allott is described as a “Labourer” and interestingly, he could read and write

He certainly seems to be missing from the 1841 Census Return for Sheffield.

I have only recently found the corresponding entry for his brother and so, I have not investigated him further at this time

But as stated by someone else above, you would presumably need an Australian Certificate of Marriage [assuming they capture the same information as we do in the UK], in order to determine any relationship back to Thomas.

Although I have not checked every source for internments for Sheffield for this period, those that I have checked have not revealed a probable burial for George Allott.

Guest bill_allott

The 2 lads don't appear with the family in the 1841 census - although they would likely have left home by that age, as had another brother, Thomas.

I have death certificates for a George & a William Allott from Victoria:

William Allott - labourer - died 8 June 1877 aged 60 at Hotham, Victoria. Given as single, so no joy there as far as marriage certificates are concerned. But parents on the death cert. are given as Thomas & Ann, which probably makes him my relative but not necessarily the convict. The cert. has him as born Yorkshire and 43 years in Victoria. So he could have arrived as a convict as there weren't many poor tourists prior to the gold rush!

George Allott - labourer - died 28 Aug 1898 aged 74 at Mooroopna, Victoria. Cert. says he was a widower, but I have not been able to find a spouse as yet. Death cert. also says parents not known, children if any not known, he was born in England and 50 years in Victoria. If this was the convict then he may have come from Tasmania (where he served his 7 years - starting 1841) to Victoria after he was freed. The numbers would then add up.

Plenty of circumstantial evidence and no proof, but it appears probable that the 2 convicts were my relations.