Season Of Mellow Fruitfulness

hilldweller

I've just finished taking all the apples off my six year old Bramley apple tree.

The apples were crammed along the branches like brussels sprouts along a stalk.

As I removed each sack-full I weighed them on the bathroom scales by balancing a stool on the scales 'so I could read the amount indicated (I deducted the weight of the stool each time).

In aggregate the apples weighed 373 kilograms which in old money I reckon is about 7 hundredweights. This doesn't take into account the many windfalls which have already been converted into pies and eaten

What a wonderful year it's been from an apple tree point of view.

We've given away so many that I'm sure the local greengrocer has taken a contract out on me.

hilldweller

I've just finished taking all the apples off my six year old Bramley apple tree.

The apples were crammed along the branches like brussels sprouts along a stalk.

As I removed each sack-full I weighed them on the bathroom scales by balancing a stool on the scales 'so I could read the amount indicated (I deducted the weight of the stool each time).

In aggregate the apples weighed 373 kilograms which in old money I reckon is about 7 hundredweights. This doesn't take into account the many windfalls which have already been converted into pies and eaten

What a wonderful year it's been from an apple tree point of view.

We've given away so many that I'm sure the local greengrocer has taken a contract out on me.

hilldweller

We have had a similar experience with our apple tree this year hilldweller.

I have already related the story of it in the topic on members unusual hobbies and interests if you want to read it.