Rochdale Society Of Equitable Pioneers (1844)

RichardB

? any experts ? - he asks, hopefully ... lol

Rochdale!!!

Not Sheffield, not even Yorkshire (used to be Lancashire, probably now part of Greater Manchester)

All I know about the place is that it's hard being a cowboy there.

But I probably found that out from a Mike Harding comedy song, c1975, rather than actually visiting the place.

? any experts ? - he asks, hopefully ... lol

Sorry Richard, although I am the world authority on this society, my current knowledge takes in the period beginning13th January 1845 onwards.

Sadly therefore, I won't be able to help. :( - :)

Sorry Richard, although I am the world authority on this society, my current knowledge takes in the period beginning13th January 1845 onwards.

Other members are encouraged to make posts asking questions and we always try our best to be helpful and give sensible, meaningful answers and advice.

Richard makes a post asking for help and immediately gets 2 "joke" answers from his fellow moderators.

I'm sure there is a message in that somewhere.

I am certainly no expert on the Rochdale Society of Equitable Pioneers, but two friends from my first university were from Rochdale and were always keen to point out that their town was the birthplace of the modern Co-operative movement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A2764424

1845 you say ? Perfect - I'm interested because of a town called Marcus, Iowa which was built in 1871 - well after your area of expertise kicks in - I look forward to your input - if you're got anything on "Marcus Lumber" I'd be most happy to receive that also.

:)

Now in its third and fourth generations Marcus Lumber was founded on February 1, 1920 when Roger T. Leavitt and his family purchased the Thomas Patton Lumber Company. Renaming the business to Marcus Lumber Company, Roger T. ran the yard up until 1952. It was in 1950 his son John began working at the business and in 1952 his brother Roger E. joined and they both jointly managed the business.

In 1971 John’s son Bob joined the business and in 1980 his son Jim began his career. Roger E.’s son Tom joined the family business in 1987 completing the third generation of management.

In 2004, in the midst of an office expansion, the company’s primary lumber shed and shop buildings were destroyed by a devastating fire. However, the company was able to turn the misfortune around and build a brand new 18,000 square foot office with an expansive showroom, where the previously fire-destroyed buildings were located.

Shortly thereafter the fourth generation began working in the company with Kent, Jim’s oldest son and Clay, Bob’s oldest son in 2007. In 2010 Bob’s son Grant started within the company.

Today the second generation of Roger and John still stop in and contribute

to the business every day after close to 60 years of service. After over 90 years of operation, Marcus Lumber now has close to 30 employees and 10 delivery vehicles and looks forward to continued growth in the future..

Thank you Vox.

:)

Now in its third and fourth generations Marcus Lumber was founded on February 1, 1920 when Roger T. Leavitt and his family purchased the Thomas Patton Lumber Company. Renaming the business to Marcus Lumber Company, Roger T. ran the yard up until 1952. It was in 1950 his son John began working at the business and in 1952 his brother Roger E. joined and they both jointly managed the business.

In 1971 John’s son Bob joined the business and in 1980 his son Jim began his career. Roger E.’s son Tom joined the family business in 1987 completing the third generation of management.

In 2004, in the midst of an office expansion, the company’s primary lumber shed and shop buildings were destroyed by a devastating fire. However, the company was able to turn the misfortune around and build a brand new 18,000 square foot office with an expansive showroom, where the previously fire-destroyed buildings were located.

Shortly thereafter the fourth generation began working in the company with Kent, Jim’s oldest son and Clay, Bob’s oldest son in 2007. In 2010 Bob’s son Grant started within the company.

Today the second generation of Roger and John still stop in and contribute

to the business every day after close to 60 years of service. After over 90 years of operation, Marcus Lumber now has close to 30 employees and 10 delivery vehicles and looks forward to continued growth in the future..