Info On Local Business History + Picture Identification Needed

jimbob55

Hi all

a couple of questions have popped up on the pictures of Sheffield old and new site that i help to run on facebook (http://www.facebook....=group_activity )

(1) One of our members works at Stone the crows at the top of the Moor ,They are moving premises shortly and are curious as to who occupied the premises before it was Macdonalds ( someone has suggested it was at one time Manfield ?)

(2) another member has found this picture at work which they think was taken in the botanical gardens (no date) any idea as to who /what it is

It's the monument to the Crimean war which was in the Botanical gardens until the gardens were refurbished. It originally stood in town, on top of a column. The figure I think represents Victory.

The Council have a cunning plan to reinstate it in the city centre, but can't decide where.

Hi all

a couple of questions have popped up on the pictures of Sheffield old and new site that i help to run on facebook (http://www.facebook....=group_activity )

(1) One of our members works at Stone the crows at the top of the Moor ,They are moving premises shortly and are curious as to who occupied the premises before it was Macdonalds ( someone has suggested it was at one time Manfield ?)

(2) another member has found this picture at work which they think was taken in the botanical gardens (no date) any idea as to who /what it is

I think this is the building, top of Furnival Gate, numbers 1 - 5 on the Moor,

SH link

I do remember a 'Manfield' shop, but can not be certain where abouts it was situated.

Thanks as always guys, i,ll pass on the info to the relevant party.Am i ok to post the picture on our site ,with a link and acknowledgement to Sheffield History.

From the 1965 directory.

1. Eastern Carpet Stores.

3. Benefit Footware Ltd.

5. W H Curtis Ltd. radio spplies

My 1970 Kelly's agrees with Steves 1965 however Benefit Footwear are now called Manfield.

Thanks as always guys, i,ll pass on the info to the relevant party.Am i ok to post the picture on our site ,with a link and acknowledgement to Sheffield History.

I have no objection to you using the photo