Hot Club De Paris

AnnieR

My lad's band Hot Club de Paris is not a Sheffield band, but since I hail from Sheffield I thought I'd mention them! They play quite regularly in Sheffield and will be on at SoYo in Rockingham Street on 10th October. They played at Tramlines this year too. They're well worth seeing, but then I'm biased!

My lad's band Hot Club de Paris is not a Sheffield band, but since I hail from Sheffield I thought I'd mention them! They play quite regularly in Sheffield and will be on at SoYo in Rockingham Street on 10th October. They played at Tramlines this year too. They're well worth seeing, but then I'm biased!

Your lads band AnnieR, sounds an interesting group.

There was after all a group called "Hot Club de France", based in Paris in the 1930's.

The best known version of this band was known as "Quintette du Hot Club du France", a classic 5 piece Jazz band with a line up of well known musicians such as

Django Reinhardt (guitar)

Stephanne Grappelly (violin)

Roger Chaput

Louis Vola

Joseph Reinhardt.

There unusual instrumental arrangement and catchy "Parisian Jazz" style made them very popular and they often appeared with American guest players visiting France such as Sydney Bechet (clarinet / soprano sax), Coleman Hawkins (sax) and even Larry Adler (harmonica)

So, is your lads band a 5 piece Jazz band playing in the style of the original Hot Club of France?

Not exactly! Yes they love the music of Django Rheinhart and Stephan Grappelli but completely different. I put that down to our Paul listening to our record collection. Google them and there's tracks available on myspace and hotclubdeparis.com. My favourite of the moment is "Free the Pterodactyl Three"

Not exactly! Yes they love the music of Django Rheinhart and Stephan Grappelli but completely different. I put that down to our Paul listening to our record collection. Google them and there's tracks available on myspace and hotclubdeparis.com. My favourite of the moment is "Free the Pterodactyl Three"

You've probably guessed from me questioning the "Hot Club de France / Paris" connection that I like Jazz (among many other styles of music as it happens) as not that many people these days would be able to pick up on a Jazz connection like this, - it's not exactly the most popular genre is it?

However when I get the chance I will follow the link and give "the Hot Club du Paris" a listen.

Thanks for the information about this group and the invitation to hear them.