L Eberlin, Pocket Watch

Stuart0742

Some Eberlin marriages for consideration :

Louis Eberlin, Spouse Vera Wall, quarter September 1917, Ecclesall Bierlow

Some Eberlin deaths for consideration :

Marion M Z Eberlin, born about 1856, died quarter March 1929, Ecclesall Bierlow.

Marion Maude Z Carr married William Eberlin Q1 1880 this is probably Zipporah off the 1901 Census.

If so She was a Widow, When did william die

Stuart, thank you so much for "sending me off on one" with regards to this; the Tinywifelette will probably have much to say to me on the matter (small but vicious ...)

does anyone know of

L Eberlin Pocket Watches,

I am assuming this is Louis Eberlin

Louis Eberlin married Elizabeth Clark Ridgway in 1882. I've not found any children for them.

Louis's father Frederick married twice. The first time was to Ann Wagstaff in Sheffield in 1849. She had twins Joseph and Rosina but Joseph died age 3 wks, Rosina died age 10 mths and Ann died age 21 all in 1849/50.

Second wife was Sarah, not found a marriage for them. I've found 9 children.

George Frederick b.1854, d.1855

William b.1855, Pork butcher. 1919 at 907-909 Penistone Rd, Owlerton

Frederick b.1856, Pork butcher. 1911 and 1919 a pork and meat purveyor, pork pie, sausage and polony maker at 437-439 London Rd

Louis b.1858 the watchmaker and jeweller

Elizabeth b.1859

Edwin b. 1861. This one is a distant ancestor through his wife Edith Horsfield. In 1905 he was a joiner and undertaker at 153 Myrtle Rd. Odd combination of occupations but I suppose he could knock up a few coffins!

Albert b.1863. In 1881 he was a pharmaceutical apprentice and then moved to Nottingham

Florence b.1865 and died age 5 mths

Luther b. 1866. He was a drapers apprentice in 1881.

Albert had 2 sons Albert and Frederick. Frederick Harold Maden Eberlin, 2nd lieutenant Royal Flying Corps, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and 3rd Bn died age 20 in 1917.

I've not got a subscription at present to find them after the 1881 census.

Thanks to AnnieR getting the ball rolling

and to Richard's "Tiny Wiflette" for letting him post so much helpful stuff.

Frederick Eberlin

>>

Louis Eberlin (Watchmaker)

>>

William Eberlin married Marian Maude Z Carr in 1880

>>

Louis Eberlin Served in the Royal Navy WW1

All this because I was curious about a name :rolleyes:

1 more name in the mamouth task Trefcon has took on

"Somebody's going to get their head kicked in tonight" - The Rezillos (1970's pop/punk), but originally written by ... ? No internet searches please, just "them in the know".

Might be "gonna" instead of going but you know it or you don't. This might just finish Vox off he he

Frederick Eberlin

>>

Louis Eberlin (Watchmaker)

>>

William Eberlin married Marian Maude Z Carr in 1880

>>

Louis Eberlin Served in the Royal Navy WW1

All this because I was curious about a name :rolleyes:

1 more name in the mamouth task Trefcon has took on

I mention she's a tiny wif we're both dead, Pal !

His father was Frederick Eberlin a pork butcher born in Germany.

I said it was a German name, and I bet our member Gillmar in Switzerland would be interested in the fact that this is a Sheffield based German pork butcher.

She has got a topic on here somewhere about German pork butchers in Sheffield.

I'm really enjoying all this! William Eberlin b.1855 was married to Marion Maud Zipporah Carr. I think that this family emigrated to Toronto and that William died there 31 Jul 1891. Louis Eberlin was born 11 Aug 1891 in Toronto. I'm guessing that Marion Maud Zipporah Eberlin brought her family back to Sheffield. There was a son Albert who was born in Sheffield in 1888 and died age 4 in 1892 in Sheffield so I think they were only in Canada from 1889 to 1892.

I don't think that this Louis Eberlin was the watchmaker. Thanks for posting the photo of Louis - nice to see what they look like.

I only started looking for Eberlin's because I was intrigued by the name.

Hi AnnieR What's your source for this info, this would help with our research for www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk We have 3 Eberlins F Eberlin on a couple of memorials at Heeley JF Eberlin Private York & Lancs Louis Eberlin Royal Navy

I found the info about Frederick Harold Maden Eberlin on the CWGC site. I think that JF Eberlin was James Frederick Eberlin, parents William and Marion Maud Zipporah Eberlin who was born in Toronto. As to the F Eberlin, there were a few so not sure of that one yet.

Here's my input for the moment:

BTW, Künzelsau is birthplace of my ggfather Herman Pfisterer, and other relations. Kupferzell is a stone's throw.away

Eberlin

In 1911 Louis, Watchmaker & Jeweller is living at 26 Thornsett Road, married to Elizabeth Clark Ridgeway (28 yrs.) Living with them is Elizabeth’s sister, Mary Purser Ridgeway, private means.

Louis died 16th June 1919 aged 87 (probate to Elizabeth Clark Eberlin, widow. Effects £2903).

Also in 1911, Joseph Hattersley (1882), wife Elsie (Eberlin) (1882) is living at 164 Alexandra Road, Sheffield with mother, Zipporah Eberlin (1856), Daughter Mildred Hattersley (1909) and Helena, 1886, Joseph’s sister.

Frederick Eberlin, ret’d Pork butcher, 1826, is living with daughter Elizabeth, 1861, no occupation, at 160 Alexandra Road, Sheffield.

Also in 1911, William Eberlein (1867) Pork butcher at a pork factory, born Künzelsau, Württemberg and Sophia, wife, (1864), born Kupferzell, Württemberg with son, Wm (1893), baker at a bread factory, born Masbro and Lena Eberlein, (1894), daughter, Metal polisher at a silversmith’s.

I would hazard a guess that this is one big family of pork butchers and watchmakers, silversmith etc.

I've got to follow Annie R's track of them in Canada but I will be back. As Annie said - it's fascinating.

Bis später!!

Gill

Frederick Eberlin of 160 Alexandra Road, Sheffield died eb 1913. Probate to Frederick Eberlein, Pork merchant and Louis Eberlin. jeweller.

Effects £2071.

This sort of "clinches" it for me!!

Now we could sort out who belongs to which family but it can wait until tomorrow.

Gill

I kept typing Eberlein and correcting it, but the German nane is Eberlein

Thanks for your imput into this topic Gilmar.

I knew that once a link was found from the German name to a local pork butcher that you would have some useful information about them.

I think I've sorted out which Eberlin belongs to which family with 2 exceptions. I don't know where William b 1867 and wife Sophia fit into all this. Their son William is listed on the CWGC site as a Corporal in the Yorks and Lanc Regiment 1st/4th Bn died 28 Jul 1917 age 24 and buried in Wadsley churchyard.

Also there is a Caroline Eberlin buried at the General Cemetery 25 Nov 1919 age 89, pauper, Ecclesall Union b abt 1830. So was she a sister or sister in law of the original Frederick born abt 1826?

This is making a change from sorting out my Glossop ancestors!(Not pork butchers but razor scale pressers)

I should have read your post more thoroughly, AnnieR!! However, going through the whole thread, I got confused and thought it might be better if I did my own research.

I have found something out, though: William Eberlin and his wife, Zipporah were on the 1891 Census in Canada. William died of Leucocythermia on 31st July 1891 at the age of 33 and Zipporah and her children left Canada in October of that year.

Luther Eberlin was imprisoned for three months for larceny in 1887 and emigrated to Canada in 1888. He married Annie Watson in Quebec in 1900.

A Friedrich Eberlein came to England on the Batavier on 23.6.1841 and is to be found on the 1841 Census in Sheffield.

I've not yet found Caroline Eberlin. I think that William and Sophia Eberlin were related to Frederick and his family, just how I don't know at the moment. Sophia's maiden name was Egner. another successful pork butcher family.

I've jotted down notes on my travels (I'm hopelessly disorganised) but the above are the main results.

If anyone wants census copies, etc., I'll gladly post them. I have a full subscription if anyone needs anything.

Guest bullerboy

Gillmar, the Landsrat of Kunzelsau is a friend of mine and is helping me to find relatives of Louis Hiller pork butcher of 36 South St, The Moor Sheffield and I visit Kunzelsau every year.

Mr Hiller came to Sheffield from Kunzelsau in around 1830 and is buried in the General Cemetery.

Hi Bullerboy,

My relatives came from Künzelsau, too. They were the Pfisterers. Johann Friedrich Herman Pfisterer married Margaretha Brück in the Parish Church in Rotherham in 1864. His sister, Susanne Louisa Pfisterer married Christian Lindenberger (probably also from Künzelsau) in Bradford.

Herman had a pork butcher's shop in Mexborough but died in 1875 aged 40 and is buried in Doncaster. He came over to England in 1854.

A friend of mine helped me trace the Pfisterers back from Herman as well as the Brück family from Kocherstetten. The house is still there where Margaretha lived.

In return, I search the German Pork Butchers out, not only in Sheffield but Co. Durham, Lancashire, Derbyshire, etc. and we try to connect them back up to their forefathers from the Hohenlohe area of Württemberg.

Reference 1997/1 Covering dates 19th century-20th century Held by Sheffield Archives Extent 1 envelope Conditions of access Unlisted material. 4 weeks written notice required for access. Some records may be subject to a closure period Creators Hiller family of Sheffield and Germany

Contents:

Letter from Henry Hiller, pork butcher, to his sister Sophia in Kungelsau, Germany 1847, in German; history of the Hiller family of Kungelsau and Sheffield in the 18th and 19th century with photocopies and translations of letters - 'The Hiller Letters'.

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Sheffield Archives

Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2012

Hi again, just saw the above on TNA

Guest bullerboy

Gillmar,there is a book on German pork butchers in Britain by Sue Gibbons ISBN No 0 9537734 4 2 it is from Anglo-German family History Society Publications,it could be helpful to you.I went to the Sheffield Archives but they sent me to the Local Studies at the Central Library with little success.