Hambleton House (Former Sypte)) Exchange Street

Guest MrSheffield

Guest MrSheffield

Hi all i'm new to this forum but have specifically joined to get info on the Former SYPTE on Exchange Street. I'm doing this because a planning application has gone in to demolish the building. This is such a great building and it would be a crime to see it demolished. I'm currently trying to get it listed I just need some historical and architectural info on the building then so I can submit it for a possible listing.

What was it before SYPTE ?

Would it have had a street number or a building name please ? (Not currently finding anything under Hambleton)

It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the new edition of Pevsner. An oversight or conscious decision as lacking in merit or interest I wonder?

It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the new edition of Pevsner. An oversight or conscious decision as lacking in merit or interest I wonder?

Looking at 1925 Kelly's and maps, built sometime between 1925 and 1935.

Thanks for the info people, I have now submitted an application for a possible listing, lets see how it goes.

MrSheffield

What info did you include in your application? It would be interesting to know some more about the history of the building - from the above all I can gather is that it is on Exchange Street, was built between 1925 and 1935, was the SYPTE office for a while and maybe had links to the corn or rope or twine industries. Hopefully your application has got more detail, if so it would be good if you could share.

Who/what was Hambleton?

Why was the building located where it was?

Who has occupied it over the years?

Who was the architect? What style is the building in?

The building was used and probably built by W H Smith of high street fame,

and most likely named after Viscountess Hambleden, the wife of W H Smith junior.

Note the correct spelling of Hambleden

Link to Wiki

Guest InSheffield

From 'The story of W.H. Smith & Son', F.E.K. Foat and Geoffrey Richard Pocklington:

"Hambleden House, Sheffield, named after the late head of the Firm, is one of the finest wholesale branches in the provinces. The news serving counter, as you enter the ground floor, provides a fine example of quick service for customers.  To the left of this department is a book salon of which any London store would be proud.  From it an electric lift will take you to any department of this huge store which caters for the needs of the shopkeeper in practically everything he requires.  On the sixth floor is a cafe where customers, who find it very useful as a business meeting-place, can refresh themselves at any hour of the day."

Guest MrSheffield

From 'The story of W.H. Smith & Son', F.E.K. Foat and Geoffrey Richard Pocklington:

"Hambleden House, Sheffield, named after the late head of the Firm, is one of the finest wholesale branches in the provinces. The news serving counter, as you enter the ground floor, provides a fine example of quick service for customers. To the left of this department is a book salon of which any London store would be proud. From it an electric lift will take you to any department of this huge store which caters for the needs of the shopkeeper in practically everything he requires. On the sixth floor is a cafe where customers, who find it very useful as a business meeting-place, can refresh themselves at any hour of the day."

Can you send me the link to that? i'm also trying unsuccessfully trying to find the architect of Hambledon House if anybody has any ideas?

Guest InSheffield
Can you send me the link to that? i'm also trying unsuccessfully trying to find the architect of  Hambledon House if anybody has any ideas?
It's available here, on Google Books, but only in snippets.

Guest MancBlade

Hi all, I too am new to this forum for the same reason. We can't let another elegant building be destroyed!

I've written to the 3 Sheffield Central Councillors and the Planning department. Today I received a reply saying they share my concern and have met with SYPTE to try to persuade them to remove the application to demolish. However because it's not listed the final decision rests with SYPTE.

Please take a few minutes to follow this link http://www.sypte.co....dia.aspx?id=184 and click on the contact button and drop them an e-mail asking them to reconsider the application. There are so many things could be done with this building instead of siomply getting rid and no doubt replacing with some soulless identikit flimsy edifice covered in whatever cladding is all the rage at the moment.

How do I register my support for the bid to have it listed?

Guest MrSheffield

Hi all, I too am new to this forum for the same reason. We can't let another elegant building be destroyed!

I've written to the 3 Sheffield Central Councillors and the Planning department. Today I received a reply saying they share my concern and have met with SYPTE to try to persuade them to remove the application to demolish. However because it's not listed the final decision rests with SYPTE.

Please take a few minutes to follow this link http://www.sypte.co....dia.aspx?id=184 and click on the contact button and drop them an e-mail asking them to reconsider the application. There are so many things could be done with this building instead of siomply getting rid and no doubt replacing with some soulless identikit flimsy edifice covered in whatever cladding is all the rage at the moment.

How do I register my support for the bid to have it listed?

The application for the listing was rejected, so it looks like your way of potentially saving the building might be the only way.

I agree that it is a lovely building but Art Decco Buildings like this one are being knocked down all over Sheffield, presumably because neither Sheffield Council or English Heritage feel it is worth saving. I think this is a mistake. This doesn't happen in other cities. Manchester certainly has a mix of all kinds of architecture and that is really how cities naturally evolve. When the old art decco windows were smashed and most of the old decco cinema on London road it was really a criminal act especially as they smashed up the genuine windows and replaced them with a copy and now we are left with just the turret. They might as well not bothered.

A new planning app has gone in to demolish this building, if u wanna see it saved then object to it here.

http://planning.shef....rchtype=WEEKLY

Your link is dead, so I have added these, hope this is OK with you, MrSheffield.

http://planning.shef...archtype=WEEKLY

People can also complain directly to the South Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority who own Hambleton House which might have more of an impact here-

http://www.southyork...ndex.asp?id=566

Guest Ozayr24

I am currently doing a project on the Hambleton House at the moment, writing if the building should be demolished or not, working with the university in Sheffield. If you can help me with any infomation, links, photographs of the site, peoples views on the building and reasons for it to be and not to be demolished? What difference will it make? How will effect the locals? How the area would look like and feel if the building is knocked down.

Thank you