Return Bus Ticket

RichardB

I don't have a clue how old this is, any thoughts ? It's not spectacular, but how many bus tickets survive any length of time ?

Are you sure its a bus ticket , not had time to check records

The back of the ticket says motor bus so I assume it means petrol and not a tram or trolley bus.

The back of the ticket says motor bus so I assume it means petrol and not a tram or trolley bus.

As busman says, the Nether Edge tram route closed in March 1934, and as the ticket states motor bus on the reverse, it is safe to assume the ticket dates from after this period.

THe other factor in dating the ticket is that it is issued by Sheffield Transport Department, which came into being in April 1934, the name prior to then being Sheffield Corporation Tramways and Motors.

Return fares (certainly within the City) were abolished in November 1941, so the ticket must date from 1934 - 1941.

As busman says, the Nether Edge tram route closed in March 1934, and as the ticket states motor bus on the reverse, it is safe to assume the ticket dates from after this period.

THe other factor in dating the ticket is that it is issued by Sheffield Transport Department, which came into being in April 1934, the name prior to then being Sheffield Corporation Tramways and Motors.

Return fares (certainly within the City) were abolished in November 1941, so the ticket must date from 1934 - 1941.

Belonged/bought by my Father (born July 1920); left for pastures anew in April 1939 - joined up to fight the evil that was upcoming at that time - as did many others.

Nicely worked out; I just knew it was a ticket !

That's the ticket Richard. ;-)

I have in my possesion a black plastic disc, 7" in diamater with a central hole and a spiral groove engraved on both sides.

Is this a record?

lol