30 Years In Exile

RichardB

So, 30 years away from Sheffield (this weekend); I'd have got less for murder.

What are your views please on the best and the worst changes since I've been gone ? (Let's steer clear of politics). Some events will be of national importance, others not so.

Have the plans laid in the sixties and seventies produced great improvements, as promised ?

How great is Meadowhall ? <Ducks to avoid flying objects>

Has Sheffield mutated into a City with ring roads and US-style "strip-malls" ?

Which "new-builds" have become much-loved and which loathed ? and why have I never been in the garden-thin behind the Town Hall ?

Spooky same for me - 1981 left Sheffield in the steps of Lord Hattersley to the joys & delights of Kingston Upon Hull. October always reminds me of that - cold winds and leaves falling from the trees. Hull in 1981 was at least 10 years behind the rest of the country!

Spooky same for me - 1981 left Sheffield in the steps of Lord Hattersley to the joys & delights of Kingston Upon Hull. October always reminds me of that - cold winds and leaves falling from the trees. Hull in 1981 was at least 10 years behind the rest of the country!

Even spookier Dunsbyowl

I left Sheffield for Hull in 1974

Hull in 1974 was at least 20 years behind the rest of the country!

So it seems that they were catching up with the rest of the country then.

Even spookier Dunsbyowl

Actually you are more accurate with 20 - everyone looked a bit like this lol

Even spookier Dunsbyowl

35 years for me - left in 1976 for the cooler climes of North Yorks. When my mum visited us she always said it was "A top coat colder" in Guisborough !!

I used to visit at least once a month but sadly fuel costs now mean our trips are rationed to family occasions plus 5 days or so June/July when we stay in a Premier Inn at Rotherham & visit all our old haunts, family & friends & see how the city has changed. I was brought up at Hinde House Lane, Page Hall & it hurts to see what has happened there. My mum hated the changes which made her feel relatively isolated in her own home in the years before she died. My wife is from Abbey Lane/ Millhouses area which has changed little.

Whilst Sheffield is still very close to my heart, would I want to come back? No. The North Yorks Moors National Park only 2 hundred yards away & the wonderful Yorks coast 4 miles away are wonderful, although after many years walking & camping in the Peak District I am still drawn there whenever I come back.

Mick Ronson - 26 May 1946 – 29 April 1993 - Hull

Even spookier Dunsbyowl

We hit the road to Hull,

Sad amps and smashed guitars,

Played badly at 'The Duke'

To almost no applause...

Axe Victim - Be-Bop Deluxe - 1974

My ex-pat status only lasted 3 years, at college in Liverpool, 1965-67. Never took to the place or the people for that matter. It was a bit like Sheffield at the time in that they were ripping down buildings all over the place. It was ahead of it's time in one respect, had to step round a knife fight in the gutter one Sunday night when I was changing stations. Years 2 &3 I lived up the coast at Waterloo, and that was a different place, relatively genteel.

Another student from Sheffield had a different experience. Walking home late at night in a rougher part, he and his mate were mugged for their watches and wallets. They went to the police station and reported it, but couldn't give a description of the group responsible. So the desk sergeant suggested they get a group of their friends and go back one night, "Just give us a ring before you go and I'll pull our patrol lads out for an hour".

Ah, good old-style policing .... :rolleyes:

Are you seriously saying that you don't know who the photo is of ? :o

Sorry forgot to add a smiley face to my last post to signifiy a joke :)

Dave your hair was longer then lol

My hair is still longer.

(Sorry - I meant No longer) :(

When I left they were still playing county cricket at Bramall Lane.

Victoria Station opened for one day whilst work was being done on Midland.

The Royal Infirmary was still operating, Hyde Park Greyhounds, Tiffany's and the Classic Cinema.

Hallamshire Hospital was 6 years away, City Plaza 8, Orchard Square 14, Crystal Peaks 15 and Meadowhall 16.

Oh, and the twin towers were still there - the famous ones at Tinsley.

Are you seriously saying that you don't know who the photo is of ? :o

I think the name of the photo, "spiders" as in "spiders from Mars" sort of gives it away doesn't it even if you don't recognise Bowie when you see him.

Some of Bowie's group in vox's picture have long hair like I used to have.