New George Lane - 1850S

Guest knaylor

Is there an easy way to find where old streets other than scanning the old maps?

Is there an a-z or similar for each or any of the census years?

I'm trying to find New George Lane from the 1851 Census (St Mary's Ecclesall Brierlow, Sheffield), but have a number of other roads I could do with finding too. Just thought there might be an a-z somewhere.

I did find this for the 1841 England Census Return, which might help. You will have to copy and past into your web browser.

If you do find similar for any subsequent returns, please let me know.

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Sheffield Registration District, 1841 Census Street Index P-S

There is a New George Street, just off Bramhall Lane, but I'm looking for New George Lane. Probably in the same area is my guess

New George Street became Boston Street. George lane ran parallel to and between New George Street and Hermitage Street.

A small part of Hermitage Street still exists near the London Road end of Boston Street. New George lane would have been just about where the MFI is shown on google street view.

New George Street became Boston Street. George lane ran parallel to and between New George Street and Hermitage Street.

A small part of Hermitage Street still exists near the London Road end of Boston Street. New George lane would have been just about where the MFI is shown on google street view.

OS Map 271

OS Map 23

1851 Census runs from South Street, down New George Street then straight into Brammall Lane (spelling of Brammall as per Census images).

There is a New George Street, just off Bramhall Lane, but I'm looking for New George Lane. Probably in the same area is my guess

Wow - thanks for that. I would be really interested to know how and where you found that info.

It was George Street before it was New George Street before it was ... use the Sheffield History Google Search Tool and put in "George Street".

Wow - thanks for that. I would be really interested to know how and where you found that info.

It's just something I knew,.I had relatives living in the area years ago and have always been interested in local history and old maps. The maps section on the forum is very useful, as are the corrections and exceptions the members here find and document.