C & J Hampton , Record Tools Catalogue No.60

Stuart0742

This catalogue and price list was donated to us by Matthew Hill of Obart Pumps.

C & J Hampton, Record Tools Catalogue No. 60, year unknown, any guesses.

It wasn't until the firm had moved into new premises at Parkway Works in 1963 that Catalogue No. 17 was issued and that the product line had "stabilised" from its post-war restrictions.

17 - 1963

So number 60 ... he he

Catalogue 15 was February 1938, number 16 was 1949 ...

Compare prices from different years - stuff never gets cheaper - until the Far East and cheap blanks take over - just a thought for for consideration.

Guest recordman

I have the same catalogue but with a later price list, but still pre-decimal. I have dated it to 1961-3

For some reason RECORD did not date many of their catalogues, and I have most of them

Hi all, I have the book "Planecraft Hand Planing BY Modern Methods" it is the 1943 edition it was my fathers . Interestingly the price was two shillings and sixpence.

Thanks for posting The Home Craftsman's Catalogue No. 60 - it's a great resource.   I've compared the prices on this catalogue with the prices in my copy of the main Price List for Record Tools applicable to Catalogue No. 16 dated 19 Jan 1959.  All the prices that appear on both are the exactly the same.   There are a few items listed in the "Catalogue 60" that were not in the main price list: swivel bases for vices & the 12" Stillson pipe wrench.  (As you'd expect, the main price list is more comprehensive and lists many more tools than those shown in the Home Craftsman's Catalogue.)

The fact the prices are the same on the main price list and this catalogue seems a pretty good indication that "Catalogue 60" was published on or after 19 Jan 1959.  That vice swivel bases had been reintroduced and a new 12" Stillson had been added in "Catalogue 60" suggests that it was published some time after the 19 Jan 1959 main price list - if the products had been available or due for imminent release in Jan 1959, you'd expect they would have been listed on the main price list.

The numbering of the Home Craftsman's Catalogue No 60 appears to be unrelated to the numbering of the main Record tools catalogues.  The "No 60" must have come from somewhere - I agree with RichardB's suggestion that this could be 1960.    Perhaps like the dating of many products, the The Home Craftsman's Catalogue No. 60 was published in the preceding year, during 1959 in time for Christmas? 

On 20/09/2011 at 19:29, RichardB said:

It wasn't until the firm had moved into new premises at Parkway Works in 1963 that Catalogue No. 17 was issued and that the product line had "stabilised" from its post-war restrictions.

17 - 1963

So number 60 ... he he

The first time I went to record tools was as an electrician I was wiring their new warehouse at Parkway Works about 1965. I remember Mr. Mark Anthony Hampton going round the factory every day. Later on I worked for an an induction heating machine manufacturer who suplied some machines to Record Tools. We had a service contract with them so we did service work on the the machines every 3 months at Parkway works, Dronfield and the one near the bottom of Netherthorpe. As they contracted some of the machines ended up at Parkway Works. I remember the Plane Blade Hardener and the Wood Chisel Hardener we made for them. We also serviced a Stilson Jaw Hardener. There was also a wood drill bit hardener that didn't get to Parkway works.

Unfortunately the company was bought by an American Company that made some similar products such as the Stilsons and closed by them.

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone can help to age my vice? It’s a heavy-duty engineer’s vice No. 111 quick grip. It has Made in England written on one side and Record heavy duty and 111 on the other side. I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you.

B3F3D1F4-DA92-4C1A-9A0D-D90221DCD600.jpeg

9D4ECFAD-575A-4B7D-BFCA-DF4C4C0F9389.jpeg

911F005F-BD36-493F-B696-D7EA6CBA0362.jpeg

My Canadian father-in-law had quite a few Record tools...including a couple of vices like the one shown... He was very proud of them and had owned them for years. When he died there was a scramble by his nephews to to take them home into their own workshops....Another long gone great Sheffield company and an example of what happens with globalisation! Lessons should be learned from the current C19 pandemic about reliance on foreign production!!!