Women's Suffrage

vox

I took these photos of 45, Marlborough Road.

Empty, boarded up, and in a sorry state.

Not clear in the photos, but most of the windows are smashed.

Anyway I had a look at who used to live there and this is what I found.

Archdale, Helen Alexander (Mrs, hon. treasurer The Women's Social & Political Union)

45 Marlborough Road,

Whites - 1911.

Pankhurst, Adela. (Miss, organiser (The Women's Social & Political Union)

45 Marlborough Road,

Whites - 1911.

----------------------------------------------------

The women's suffrage movement: a reference guide, 1866-1928

The women's suffrage movement in Britain and Ireland

David Price, in his Sheffield Troublemakers mentions this house. He describes how some likely lads decided to tar and feather it, but managed to attack the house next door instead. I would like to discover the date that happened so I can find it in the newspapers.

Hugh

Miss Adela Pankhurst, organiser (The Women's Social & Political Union), 26 & 28 Chapel Walk; h. 45 Marlborough Road White's 1911

Not noticed this topic before ...

It look as thought they refused to fill in the 1911 census.

I planned to attach the page, but can't discover how to do that. Could someone else add it. please? (Or perhaps advise me?)

It look as thought they refused to fill in the 1911 census.

I planned to attach the page, but can't discover how to do that. Could someone else add it. please? (Or perhaps advise me?)

Congratulations petewarr it looks like you have suceeded.

Appeared recently so I am told!

What a fascinating topic and a beautiful old house - I do hope it can be restored to its former glory. I am very glad that someone bothered to put up a plaque in memory of Adela - bet she was quite a woman!

That was me.

Hoping Steve had some preprepared instructions as to how to do it.

Congratulations petewarr it looks like you have suceeded.

So sad to see such a building with an interesting history in such a state. The millions that's been ploughed into certain council estates which are still being ruined and a building like this one cries out for just a couple of hundred thousand to bring it back to life. Turn it into flats but keep the house.

Thanks for this. Despite a life long interest in my birthplace I never knew of Sheffield's connection with the Pankhurst's.

I decided to have a look at the rest of Adela's, what I found was an "interesting" life. After her involvement with the Suffragette Movement, and what appears to have been a family fall-out, she emigrated in 1914 to Australia where she was a founding member of the Communist Party of Australia ( from which she was later expelled). In 1917 she married an Australian union leader, Tom Walsh but, in 1928, disillusioned with Communism , she founded the anti-communist Australian Women's Guild of Empire....she also founded the right wing, nationalist Australia First Movement. Pleading the need for peace with Japan she visited the country and, in 1942, she was interned for the duration. She died in 1961.

Perhaps her involvement in right wing movements may explain why her association with the City was never publicised in Sheffield.

What I found was that no one has looked at the earlier women, the former Chartist women. I found that Eliza Rooke was from Lincolnshire and married a York confectioner. She is buried in the General Cemetery. None of the early women were from the middle classes. Abiah Higgingbotham was the daughter of a miller in Leeds. He became the first chartist councillor in Leeds. She lived in Pond Street and her husband worked in Brown Street.

Yet another revelation for me....I knew of the Chartist and Syndicalist movements and of the importance of Sheffield to the movements but hadn't realised local women had played such an important role.

SFPA

What I found was that no one has looked at the earlier women, the former Chartist women. I found that Eliza Rooke was from Lincolnshire and married a York confectioner. She is buried in the General Cemetery. None of the early women were from the middle classes. Abiah Higgingbotham was the daughter of a miller in Leeds. He became the first chartist councillor in Leeds. She lived in Pond Street and her husband worked in Brown Street.

84 Pond Street, 1851.

What I haven't been able to work out exactly is the woman who made a speech for Chartist women Ann Harrison. My educated guess is that she is the same woman who is mentioned in the papers and was a midwife but there is only this one speech and no other references to her. National history has overlooked or even written out the Sheffield women & often given the impression that Ann Knight set up the Political women's association. Not exactly true as there was already a strong chartist women's group which she was introduced to. It is true that she pushed them to be National but they had already formed a constitution and made speeches before Ann Knight became a member. All the women that I could trace had husbands or other close relatives who were chartists. Womens part in radical politics seems to have been overlooked. A lot of the signatures on the Charter were women. The Peterloo demonstration that became known as the Peterloo massacre was led by Oldham women.

Ann Knight came from the Anti-Slavery movement and there again Sheffield women were strong supporters of the Abolition movement. Sheffield Quaker women led the boycott on sugar from slave estates. It is thought by many that it was actually Winifred Gales who wrote the editorials in the Iris. She was after all a writer which Joseph was not. She did definitely carry on writing the editorials after Joseph fled the country.