Temperance Bar On Abbeydale Road

steamstreak50

Does anyone remember the temperance bar that was on Abbeydale Road .We used to have a pint on Sasparella served in a pint glass pulled by a hand pump .There was a long wooden bar running across the shop .You could obtain other non alchaholic drinks.

Does anyone remember the temperance bar that was on Abbeydale Road .We used to have a pint on Sasparella served in a pint glass pulled by a hand pump .There was a long wooden bar running across the shop .You could obtain other non alchaholic drinks.

The last time I was in there would be 1960/61, we had been to see Ocean's 11 at the Abbeydale cinema. W/E.

This is what used to be the temperance bar. Just visible behind the van.

I think I posted a better photo a couple of years ago. It's on here somewhere.

Google streetview

This is what used to be the temperance bar. Just visible behind the van.

I think I posted a better photo a couple of years ago. It's on here somewhere.

Google streetview

Here it is vox,

We used to go in during the 1970s, on our way back from Millhouses Park, Hathersage or wherever we had been on our pushbikes.We'd throw all the bikes outside the window in a heap and go inside. I'd guess that was 1972/3, I don't ever remember seeing many customers and they always seemed happy to let us stay as long as we wanted.

We used to go in during the 1970s, on our way back from Millhouses Park, Hathersage or wherever we had been on our pushbikes.We'd throw all the bikes outside the window in a heap and go inside. I'd guess that was 1972/3, I don't ever remember seeing many customers and they always seemed happy to let us stay as long as we wanted.

Ditto. Those were the days... and of course after the cinema

This is a photo of the Temperance Bar on Bramall Lane taken in the 1920's. My mother is the litle girl on the right. The shop has her maiden name 'Rolley' on the front and as you can see sold Sasparella/ and Dandelion and Burdock amongst other drinks.

I was delighted recently to discover 'The Last Original Temperance Bar' located in Rawtenstall, Lancashire under the neame of Fitzpatrick's - selling such drinks in pint glasses.

Just what we need, Thank you. More mystery photos requested from all.

Would that be Clara Rolley, married to Ernest ?

This is a photo of the Temperance Bar on Bramall Lane taken in the 1920's. My mother is the litle girl on the right. The shop has her maiden name 'Rolley' on the front and as you can see sold Sasparella/ and Dandelion and Burdock amongst other drinks.

I was delighted recently to discover 'The Last Original Temperance Bar' located in Rawtenstall, Lancashire under the neame of Fitzpatrick's - selling such drinks in pint glasses.

Wow, I am impressed! Well done History Team!

Correct - it is Clara my Grandmother who was married to Ernest Rolley and the other two in the photo are two of her children - Ernest and Alice. Clara gave birth to several children but others died in infancy as was the way then. My mother, Alice, was a twin but her brother died when only a few days old.