Montgomery Fountain

tozzin

Has anyone any Idea to the full inscription on the base of the Montgomery Memorial drinking fountain on Broad Lane? As you can see its been well used and worn away its sad its in the state it is.

Good question Tozzin. Haven't found anything so far but the Beeb have this

"Sheffield University Library holds the 'Montgomery Manuscripts' - letters, poems, illustrations and personal recollections of Montgomery and his friends as well as 'The Negro's Album of the Sheffield Anti-Slavery Society' from 1820."

Maybe there's something among that lot?

What year was the fountain erected please ? Does anyone know ?

It's a good start point to narrowing down the search.

Has anyone any Idea to the full inscription on the base of the Montgomery Memorial drinking fountain on Broad Lane? As you can see its been well used and worn away its sad its in the state it is.

Must be something in the newspapers ... not finding much/anything.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement(Sheffield, England), Saturday, July 21, 1860;.

Montgomery Fountain. ( AKA Red Hill Fountain ).

Perfect, thall'll take some beating as an answer to any question !

Thank you and Arise Sir Syrup of Sheffieldshire ...

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement(Sheffield, England), Saturday, July 21, 1860;.

Montgomery Fountain. ( AKA Red Hill Fountain ).

Syrup has it nailed !

Could do with a full picture, from each side, if all possible, plus to set the prefect answer in context from those that can't quite place it (not me this time !).

Perfect, thall'll take some beating as an answer to any question ! Thank you and Arise Sir Syrup of Sheffieldshire ...

RichardB this news report is very helpful and tells me everything I wanted to know, I shall return to the Fountain and take more pictures of ALL the facets of the Memorial.

Thanks very much.

Twas the newly Knighted Sir Syrup wot did the work ! Looking forward to the pictures ...

RichardB this news report is very helpful and tells me everything I wanted to know, I shall return to the Fountain and take more pictures of ALL the facets of the Memorial.

Thanks very much.