Hallamshire Steelworks

Guest boxhead

Does anyone have any info on the Hallamshire Steelworks? My grandfather worked there in the 30s and 40s (I think). He lost a leg in an accident there and I am looking for any details on the steelworks.

Dave from Oz

Does anyone have any info on the Hallamshire Steelworks? My grandfather worked there in the 30s and 40s (I think). He lost a leg in an accident there and I am looking for any details on the steelworks.

Dave from Oz

Was his surname Hinchcliffe ? W/E.

Thanks Neddy. I gather its no longer used as a steelworks?

I think it has a few differrent businessess using it now, but gone as a steelworks, the corner shown was a welding shop the last time i looked,

it used to be the blacksmiths.

The most part of buildngs are still surviving,

R.J.Wiseman's photo taken in 1957 shows the Hallamshire 'Man of Steel' emblem in its prime. Behind the arched window on the corner of the building was the large flywheel that powered the steel mill, also on this corner was a plaque that showed the depth of the water in the great Sheffield flood. W/E.

Guest KevinM

I know this thread is months old but I've only just noticed it.

My grandfather used to work here during the late 40's into the 60's. I remember my mother and I waiting outside for him to finish work, and we'd all walk home together to Hoyland Road.

Joe Greenfield was his name, I think he was a foreman of some description from what my mother tells me. He used to practically live there from what I remember.

Don't fret about a thread being old, this is a history site !

Every thread is ripe for new comment and becomes new again when added to.

I know this thread is months old but I've only just noticed it. My grandfather used to work here during the late 40's into the 60's. I remember my mother and I waiting outside for him to finish work, and we'd all walk home together to Hoyland Road. Joe Greenfield was his name, I think he was a foreman of some description from what my mother tells me. He used to practically live there from what I remember.