Loxley Beer burial

docmel

Many years ago when I was a regular drinker in the Rose and Crown (Minnies) at Stannington I was told of a story which when written down looks plain silly - but there may be some of you out there who can remember or know someone with the facts

Years ago there was a public rubbish tip on Loxley Valley Road - don't know its precise location, but it must have been past Long Lane, somewhere on the right. The story goes that one of the local breweries had a problem with a large batch of tinned beer - I think I was told that they were all short measures and therefore unsaleable. The cans had to to be disposed of and some bright spark had the idea of taking them up to the Loxley dump and burying them.

For some reason they were not buried deep enough and were discovered by a member of the public. Word spread like wildfire round the area and for days afterward cars could be seen at the dead of night coming back from the dump, their boots laden with cans of beer - apparantly there were literally hundreds and hundreds of cans.

Now this maybe a story that has some element of truth that has grown to be an urban myth but it has stuck with me for years and surfaces in my brain now and again, I was just reading another thread about the old Loxley Chapel and that sparked this train of thought.

So...has anyone anything to add?

Andy

That sounds about right - but more towards 1970 than 75 - I was a regular in there by the mid 70's and got the impression it happened a few years before my hearing the story

Hi docmel,

I was at Wiswood School 1970-75 and thats when it happened, but I don't know which year. We all went across the common from school. I hadn't thought of this since then, but your post made me remember it.

The tip was on the same lane as the later loxley country club, further down on the opposite side. There has to be others who remember as half the school went up there.

andyC