Redgates Toy Shop - Sheffield - Photos

Sheffield History

Redgates Toy Shop Sheffield

Redgates was a fantastical, magical toy shop in Sheffield that most Sheffield people will know and remember

I used to get took to Redgates on Saturdays for a look around and very occasionally get a treat !

Ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Well remembered

Top floor = BORING !!

Ground floor = I bought a toy Luger pistol (very well made in steel/metal and very heavy) plus I remember loads of things on the ground floor on your right as you walked in that were open and loose - like Marbles, little toy soldiers etc that you could pick up and touch/play with

Ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Well remembered

Top floor = BORING !!

Ground floor = I bought a toy Luger pistol (very well made in steel/metal and very heavy) plus I remember loads of things on the ground floor on your right as you walked in that were open and loose - like Marbles, little toy soldiers etc that you could pick up and touch/play with

Try doing that these days.

I bet you wouldn't get to the end of Furnival Gate before a team of police marksmen had you suurounded and were ordering you to "drop the gun" that you were carrying in a public place.

Guest knighty59

I once played in a Subbuteo tournament held downstairs in Redgates. They held a regional knockout competition and the winner went on to a national tournament. i think it was some sort of qualifying tournament for the Subbuteo World Cup. Unfortunately i was knocked out in Round 2 thanks to a very dubious refereeing decision!!! Nowt changes!!

I once played in a Subbuteo tournament held downstairs in Redgates. They held a regional knockout competition and the winner went on to a national tournament. i think it was some sort of qualifying tournament for the Subbuteo World Cup. Unfortunately i was knocked out in Round 2 thanks to a very dubious refereeing decision!!! Nowt changes!!

One of my cousins was a keen cricket fan and had a cricket version of what Subbuteo was to football.

I have never seen this cricket game since other than at my cousins.

Can anyone else remember it?

Guest mike rusby

redgates was a magical place for me as a kid,always loved to be taken there on saturdays.sad to hear it has closed.lived in south so long ive lost touch.nearest thing we have to redgates is hamleys in london.not as good !

redgates was a magical place for me as a kid,always loved to be taken there on saturdays.sad to hear it has closed.lived in south so long ive lost touch.nearest thing we have to redgates is hamleys in london.not as good !

What a claim!

Redgates was better than Hamleys in Regent Street, London.

Hamley's itself claimed to be Britains biggest and best toy shop.

At one time (early 1980's I think) I seem to remember that Hamleys had other branches in big Cities beyond London.

Didn't they once have a branch in Sheffield?

Hamley's were on the moor in the old Robert's Brothers Shop IIRC. Turned into New Look when Bailey's closed.

Thanks for the info nickbo and thank you for posting on Sheffield History.

I knew there was a Hamleys somewhere in Sheffield, - just didn't know where.

Welcome to Sheffield History.

My sister used to work at Redgates which was fantastic as a kid.

When Star Wars came out they had a promotion and Darth Vader came to the shop.

He got in the lift with my sis' and totally freaked her out to the point where she can't watch the film to this day:)

Stuart0742 will know exactly, but I think the 5 digit phone number (77585) dates the bag to before the mid 1960's.

The same phone number (77585) is on the December 1968 advert ..

Stuart0742 will know exactly, but I think the 5 digit phone number (77585) dates the bag to before the mid 1960's.

Nows there one for the memory, off the top of my head I would say thoses telehone numbers changed to 6 digits in the early to mid 1980's

I will investigate further

We've had our current Sheffield phone number since 1959, and it's always had six digits. That is, until the 2 was added, in later years.

We've had our current Sheffield phone number since 1959, and it's always had six digits. That is, until the 2 was added, in later years.

The evolution of telephone numbers was not straight forward, some 5 digit numbers lasted well towards the end of the mid to late 80's

Guest RichardT

One of my cousins was a keen cricket fan and had a cricket version of what Subbuteo was to football.

I have never seen this cricket game since other than at my cousins.

Can anyone else remember it?

I had subbuteo angling bought for me at Redgates. I do remember somewhat mistily the cricket game.

RichardT said:
timestamp='1334164282' post='105225']

I had subbuteo angling bought for me at Redgates. I do remember somewhat mistily the cricket game.

That's a new un to me, never heard of it before, www.games2collect.com/

Edit: https://subbuteoforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=25682

Subbuteo Tribute Website: http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sports.htm

sub_angling.jpg

Guest sandra hibbert

I worked at Redgates from 1972 -81,I remember the time Darth Vader came ,the shop was packed I was behind the counter,he grabbed hold of me and all the kids went mad ,part of the job.

Hello and Welcome to the Site Sandra, your memories of Redgates will be eagerly read by many Folks.

Out of interest your first post is post number 100,001 on this Site !

Guest RichardT

That's a new un to me, never heard of it before, www.games2collect.com/

Thank you for that link, it certainly brought back memories, though despite racking my mind I can't remember what year I was given it!