Redgates Toy Shop - Sheffield - Photos

Sheffield History

Great work. Welcome to SheffieldHistory and Thank you.

some more photos of the famous store :)

Have these recently appeared in Picture Sheffield, because I don't recall seeing them before in all the numerous threads (waits to be corrected ...)

s27871 ()

s27872 ()

I'm impressed - after all this time ...

The Holy Grail of Sheffield History photos after all this time.

Right, - what are we looking for next then?

I'm still after, as Tsavo once asked for, a picture of the Carlton cinema Arbourthorne, pre 1959, when it was still open as a cinema and not just a lampworks warehouse.

I'm impressed - after all this time ...

You'd think our local archives contact would have told us :)

Don't know how long that has been there, but, for me, you've hit the big one there Sir.

You'd think our local archives contact would have told us :)

Don't know how long that has been there, but, for me, you've hit the big one there Sir.

I always thought it was a photo of Redgates on the Moor we were seeking

I always thought it was a photo of Redgates on the Moor we were seeking

No it was just "a photo of Redgates", and the one most people will remember is the one on Furnival Gate, - as shown.

Now, the one on the Moor, - that could be the next challenge!

No it was just "a photo of Redgates", and the one most people will remember is the one on Furnival Gate, - as shown.

Now, the one on the Moor, - that could be the next challenge!

Thanks Dave

Just the one of it burning ... any photo of Redgates anywhere is a result.

Anyone got a picture of Redgates on the Moor?

There's a good picture of Redgates on the Moor in the June edition of " My Kind of Town "

It's a picture I've not seen before.

All my best memories of Redgates are from when it was on the Moor. Anyone remember the helicopter ride at the bottom of the stairs in the basement next to all the railway stuff?

Talking of rides, own up who went on the old Donkey ride in Atkinsons? Apparently was still in use up to about 5 or 6 years ago.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, as part of the Moor re-development the old Redgates building on Furnival Gate is due to be demolished early 2013.

The thing I remember about Redgates on the Moor was the display case outside, think it was hexagonal with a concrete base and glass upper half that redgates showed off some of it's toys in - anyone else remember it?

Guest westy

I have been having a clear out at home and came across this old Redgates Hornby Railways trailer

Guest Michael Astill

Hi Redgates what a fantastic toy shop ! I clearly remember a disabled man in a wheelchair ran the Model Railway Layout, with my five shilling spending money I was there every Saturday adding to my Model Railway , first it was 'Triang' I so remember buying my first Pullman Coach. one day I accidently took my engine apart & it fell into pieces, I took it to the kind man in Redgates & he just put it back together, this was all about 1956 to 1962

The thing I remember about Redgates on the Moor was the display case outside, think it was hexagonal with a concrete base and glass upper half that redgates showed off some of it's toys in - anyone else remember it?

I remember it well!

I think it was still there when Quadrant Stationers moved in

This picture must be Richards "Holy Grail" that he has been searching for since SH started in 2007.

Have we any more details about it? A date perhaps?

What is the quest, after all this time

I thought it was a photo(s) of the Redgates Store on the Moor primarily

What is the quest, after all this time

I thought it was a photo(s) of the Redgates Store on the Moor primarily

I thought it was just any good quality pictures of Redgates in any of its locations at any point in time.

But as you say, after all this time I'm not that sure.

After all, a lot of the Crusades that went in search of the Holy Grail never actually got as far as Jerusalem, - or even the Holy Land.

At least we have got as far as some pictures of Redgates.

Does anyone remember the small shop they had in Fitzallan Square? They also had a shop in Chesterfield that closed early on. Redgates was founded by Councillor Nunn and the business was carried on by the Nunn family. Councillor Nunn's wife was a Miss Redgate, so he named the business after his wife's maiden name.

My father was a friend of Frank Nunn as they were both members of the Sharrow Cycling Club. Frank ran the Chesterfield shop until they decided to close it then he came back to the Sheffield shop.

After my father died my mother worked in the accounts department at Redgates

I was a drinking partner of Mike Nunn... Frank Nunn's son. Mike always blamed the shop's demise on people using it for advice and then plumping to buy from one of the cheap outlets which were emerging!