Accident To Wombwell's Menagerie.1867

syrup

ACCIDENT TO WOMBWELL'S MENAGERIE.—HORSES ATTACKED BY WOLVES .

The Illustrated Police News etc(London, England), Saturday, July 20, 1867;

I can't easily read the image of the paper to get the details But it is a London paper and "Wombwell" refers to the circus (menagerie) owner and not the place in South Yorkshire near Barnsley.

As "Bostock and Wombwell" they were a very well known touring menagerie in their day.

They had a pair of elephants called Nero and Rajah in their menagerie which did a lot of the hauling.

In later days (early 20th century) they had a pair of very nice pair of Burrell showmans steam traction engines to do the same job. I believe the engines even carried the elephants names on their nameplates. Only one of the engines survives into present day preservation though.

I can't easily read the image of the paper to get the details But it is a London paper and "Wombwell" refers to the circus (menagerie) owner and not the place in South Yorkshire near Barnsley.

As "Bostock and Wombwell" they were a very well known touring menagerie in their day.

They had a pair of elephants called Nero and Rajah in their menagerie which did a lot of the hauling.

In later days (early 20th century) they had a pair of very nice pair of Burrell showmans steam traction engines to do the same job. I believe the engines even carried the elephants names on their nameplates. Only one of the engines survives into present day preservation though.

Hi DaveH

Sorry about that i should have checked first before posting it, I did think it strange when i saw it.

http://www.shadyoldlady.com/location.php?loc=1380

Hi DaveH

Sorry about that i should have checked first before posting it, I did think it strange when i saw it.

http://www.shadyoldl...on.php?loc=1380

Well, as I like traction engines here is the surviving Bostock & Wombwell Burrell showmans engine, Nero.

To correct myself, Nero is named after a lion, the other engine which no longer exists called Rajah is named after an elephant (that makes sense if it was an Indian elephant)

FEARFUL TRAGEDY IN YORKSHIRE

The Illustrated Police News etc (London, England), Saturday, December 3, 1887;

So why does a Police newspaper, albeit an ILLUSTRATED Police newspaper, look like a copy of the Dandy and the Beano?

So why does a Police newspaper, albeit an ILLUSTRATED Police newspaper, look like a copy of the Dandy and the Beano?

Well you know the Police they must have liked to show off in them days back then..

Well you know the Police they must have liked to show off in them days back then..

Or they wern't clever enough to read proper books so had to just look at the pictures :o

I'd best put the stories to the Pictures just in case they do read this.

Tragedy in Yorkshire.

Barnhams Menagerie.

Lambeth.

Fox.

That's a brilliant find syrup