Star "retro" Book

dunsbyowl1867

Regarding the price I just read the dirty great bg red sticker on the original post.

I missed that, perhaps because I had seen the advert in an actual copy of Retro and so realised I had seen it before without really bothering to look any closer.

In any case, when prices and money get mentioned on here, usually in the eBay topic, there is often discussion that involves expressions like "a bargain", "cheap at half the price", "good value for money", "a right rip off", "it's not worth it", "I won't be buying it", "daylight robbery", "must have more money than sense" etc...etc...etc.. to indicate what people think about the price being asked, and in this case case no one has.

However, Stuart indicates that it looks good value so I will probably nip in there next week and get one.

Difficult due to work.

Wouldn't an evening or a weekend launch have been better from bringing a crowd in?

You could be right BUT most of the contributers to the RETRO are I would think over sixty plus and would not visit Town on an evening, I for one wouldnt because I wouldnt feel safe. Perhaps a Saturday would have been better.

You could be right BUT most of the contributers to the RETRO are I would think over sixty plus and would not visit Town on an evening, I for one wouldnt because I wouldnt feel safe. Perhaps a Saturday would have been better.

Sorry I am unable to attend, but I hope the launch goes well.

To be honest, I only buy The Star on Saturday and that is specifically to get the Retro suppliment which is excellent and desrves its own book.

However, I hope the launch is not so successful that the book sells out before I get the chance to buy my copy the following Saturday.

Sorry I am unable to attend, but I hope the launch goes well.

To be honest, I only buy The Star on Saturday and that is specifically to get the Retro suppliment which is excellent and desrves its own book.

However, I hope the launch is not so successful that the book sells out before I get the chance to buy my copy the following Saturday.

Launch obviously went well, as witnessed by the pictures and account given in the RETRO which came out today (Saturday 26 November 2011)

Also went and got my copy of the Retro book today, along with a copy of the Retro calendar from the Star shop.

Having mentioned the Retro calendar, Steve, - it's getting to that time of year again, - are we having a Sheffield History 2012 calendar for the new year?

I wish I had ordered my copy of RETRO now.

There were only 2 staff on duty when I went to buy my copy and there were 6 people waiting to be served.

One assistant, clearly the more senior and experienced, was dealing with a very upset recently bereaved family who wanted to place an item in the deaths column. She dealt with them professionally and took a long time to deal sensitively with their needs.

The second assistant dealt with everyone else and clearly lacked experience, didn't know how to deal with certain things and had to have a drawn out social conversation with every customer.

It took me 22 minutes from entering the shop to being able to buy a book and a calendar.

The book scores good marks for quality, Star shop has room for improvement.

MrsH has had a look through the Retro book.

Her uncle has contributed one of the written bits that are in it.

So the family has contributed to it without realising that we had.

Certain photographs lack information , some don't say where it is.

I can understand not knowing who the the people are or the date because we all have a problem

with that but to print a picture without any inclination of who , when or where?

I was expecting some of the very good pictures from the Saturday Star editions to be printed

in it but saw very few.

I know this sounds like a moan but if they do another I will view it first.

The best part of the book was tozzins contribution.

Disappointed with it on Tyneside.

Well I didn't want to sound too harsh , being the first to grumble but the next time

I will view first. I just wish they had printed more of the pictures I'd seen on a Saturday

in the Star. After all that was the big come -on. We're going to do a book of the same thing.

Didn't look the same , not half as good.

They did a few pages of the Blitz but why in this book, they've already done a Blitz book which

most of us have got. Why repeat it.

I can understand not knowing who the the people are or the date because we all have a problem

with that but to print a picture without any inclination of who , when or where?

I was expecting some of the very good pictures from the Saturday Star editions to be printed

in it but saw very few.

That was my first thought

in it but saw very few.

Stuart did warn me about this in the pub last Wednesday.

He said it was OK for what it cost but photo's lacked captions.... etc.. (just your very argument ukelele lady)

I bought one anyway and, as Stuart says, it's OK.

If they bring out another one I will buy it regardless even without viewing it first, simply because The Star are sitting on a massive archive of photographs and even uncaptioned I just like looking at old pictures of Sheffield and Sheffield people.

I like the book, OK it has it's shorcomings but for just under £10 it is pretty good value.

As well as "where the 'ell is that" we now have a "who the 'ell is that"

WHO THE 'ELL'S THAT

This famous Sheffielder has been exiled to far north for many years, has a tiny wifette, posts old tat back to Sheffield and likes to wear a taffeta dress.

Answers on a postcard please to

Sheffield Star Retro

Star Building

High Street

Sheffield.

Let's have some REAL FAMOUS Sheffielders in the "Who the 'ell's that" section

Launch story from the Star

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/nostalgia/rewinding_with_our_retro_readers_1_4002825