Young Ladies

RichardB

I keep getting pictures of scantily-clad young females and a banner heading of FilipinoCupid; does they accept PayPal ? Is there a discount for multiple purchases ? etc etc.

I keep getting pictures of scantily-clad young females and a banner heading of FilipinoCupid; does they accept PayPal ? Is there a discount for multiple purchases ? etc etc.

A lot of places accept PayPal nowadays lol

I don't like having my avitar, which identifies me, appearing alongside the banner ads at the top of each topic.

If you started the topic, then your avitar automatically appears alongside the top banner ad as though you personally approve and support the product being advertised.

I was particularly annoyed when I appeared alongside an ad for an electronic cigarette device as I have never been a smoker and, for personal and family reasons, am totally against smoking. Yet it looked as though I was personally approving and sanctioning the product.

The most common ad is for owlstalk, - I wouldn't particularly mind being associated with that even though I am not a football fan. Even so, many of our members are Unitedites and they wouldn't want to be seen advertising anything to do with the Owls.

Now, if I was associated with an ad featuring scantily clad young women I may initially see it as amusing, I know that MrsH wouldn't and at the end of the day I have my professional reputation to consider.

While I appreciate that it costs money to run a website and that advertising is a major source of income I would prefer it if members avitars were not directly associated with the ads.

I don't like having my avitar, which identifies me, appearing alongside the banner ads at the top of each topic.

If you started the topic, then your avitar automatically appears alongside the top banner ad as though you personally approve and support the product being advertised.

I was particularly annoyed when I appeared alongside an ad for an electronic cigarette device as I have never been a smoker and, for personal and family reasons, am totally against smoking. Yet it looked as though I was personally approving and sanctioning the product.

The most common ad is for owlstalk, - I wouldn't particularly mind being associated with that even though I am not a football fan. Even so, many of our members are Unitedites and they wouldn't want to be seen advertising anything to do with the Owls.

Now, if I was associated with an ad featuring scantily clad young women I may initially see it as amusing, I know that MrsH wouldn't and at the end of the day I have my professional reputation to consider.

While I appreciate that it costs money to run a website and that advertising is a major source of income I would prefer it if members avitars were not directly associated with the ads.

I suppose you have to ask the question - Do we make a decent amount money from all this advertising, if so is it worth it. It has been noted that perhaps some adverts are not appropriate to Sheffield History.

I sent for my catalogue, they do part ex on any old models you need to get rid of lol

I sent for my catalogue, they do part ex on any old models you need to get rid of lol

Now that the holidays are coming to an end I will be seeing Mrs0742 before much longer.

It's got to be worth a drink or two to keep my gob shut about that one.

Anyway, she's not an old model, - she's younger than you!

I've made severaral enquiries; particulalry interested

in the "disposal of old" option lol

Now that the holidays are coming to an end I will be seeing Mrs0742 before much longer.

It's got to be worth a drink or two to keep my gob shut about that one.

Anyway, she's not an old model, - she's younger than you!

This topic had me puzzled until I realized that it involved advertising pop-ups that some forummers are seeing. I'm running FireFox 6 and although I've not made any concious effort to block adverts I don't see any at all.

What am I missing ? It sounds all very interesting. If I knew how to turn off pop-up blocking I might have a look, just for the fun of it; but there again I might not. I wondered what those blank spaces were at the top of topics. Perhaps FireFox will come up with a "This space is intentionally left blank" message to fill them in a similar manner to the ones you find in printed matter.

HD

This topic had me puzzled until I realized that it involved advertising pop-ups that some forummers are seeing. I'm running FireFox 6 and although I've not made any concious effort to block adverts I don't see any at all.

What am I missing ? It sounds all very interesting. If I knew how to turn off pop-up blocking I might have a look, just for the fun of it; but there again I might not. I wondered what those blank spaces were at the top of topics. Perhaps FireFox will come up with a "This space is intentionally left blank" message to fill them in a similar manner to the ones you find in printed matter.

HD

FireFox 6!!! :blink:

I don't use Firefox that often as I tend to stick with IE. However, on checking this out Firefox immediately updated to FF6 from FF5.

The last version I had which I actually used to any extent was FF 3.6, - and that was only about a year ago when it was still the "current version"

Looks like FF4 and FF5 didn't last very long then.

I think the reason for this is that FF seems to treat every small update these days as a new version, with previous versions 1, 2 and 3 they didn't, - they only gave a new version number for a significant change in the software and not just a small update.

Oh well, I suppose I will be updating to FF7 and possibly FF8 before Christmas.

This topic had me puzzled until I realized that it involved advertising pop-ups that some forummers are seeing.

What am I missing ? It sounds all very interesting.

HD

Nothing exciting HD,

One of the adverts with a young lady on it is about dating in Wales

Who wants to go out with a fat, blubberous marine mammal? lol

I've often wondered why I get Australian ads on SH? How does that work? And do I get the same girls as you? If so, do I have to pay their airfares. Or do they 'just want to talk'? :rolleyes:

I've often wondered why I get Australian ads on SH? How does that work? And do I get the same girls as you? If so, do I have to pay their airfares. Or do they 'just want to talk'? :rolleyes:

Stuart has questioned the relevance of some of these Ads.

Why do we get the one about dating in Wales?

If you get that same girls and she is Welsh then her native tongue will be totally incomprehesible to anyone outside Wales, - even if it's New South Wales!

So you wouldn't want to talk to her.

You would probably have more luck talking to the fat blubberous marine mammal, - and that could swim to Australia.

Are you insulting my wife now ??

Nothing exciting HD,

One of the adverts with a young lady on it is about dating in Wales

Who wants to go out with a fat, blubberous marine mammal? lol

FireFox 6.0.1 here, I'd love to turn all the rubbish off - HELP !!! (Please)

This topic had me puzzled until I realized that it involved advertising pop-ups that some forummers are seeing. I'm running FireFox 6 and although I've not made any concious effort to block adverts I don't see any at all. What am I missing ? It sounds all very interesting. If I knew how to turn off pop-up blocking I might have a look, just for the fun of it; but there again I might not. I wondered what those blank spaces were at the top of topics. Perhaps FireFox will come up with a "This space is intentionally left blank" message to fill them in a similar manner to the ones you find in printed matter. HD

Are you insulting my wife now ??

No of course not.

Your wife isn't Welsh shes up from Geordieland somewhere I think.

...and a "tiny wifette" hardly fits the description of a whale.

FireFox 6.0.1 here, I'd love to turn all the rubbish off - HELP !!! (Please)

Before the upgrade you could turn the adverts off in ANY browser by selecting the "clean cut" version.

Do we still have that option post-upgrade?

It would be nice to have it back.

I suppose you have to ask the question - Do we make a decent amount money from all this advertising, if so is it worth it. It has been noted that perhaps some adverts are not appropriate to Sheffield History.

How do we get these adverts?

Are they paid for or do they come from links on cookies and the like?

I have just had an interesting coincidence happen.

My bathroom shower has broken down and I was looking for some help / parts on the Internet.

One of the sites I visited was Plumb World.

When I came back to Sheffield History the banner ad on the home page (without an icon alongside it) was for Plumb World. :blink:

Come to think of it, a few nights ago I was looking for an October half term break holiday and was looking at south west England, mainly around Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Avon, Somerset and Dorset. One of the links I got, which I rejected was for Wales.

Is this why I am getting dating in Wales ads? :huh:

THYLACINE lives in Australia and he gets Australian ads, - I live in England and I don't get Australian ads.

Are the ads directed to us by snooping on our previous browsing history or location so that we all see a different but personalised set of Ads? <_<

If so what had Richard been previously looking at to get the scantily clad young Ladies? :o

That's a bit sad; go on formulate some insults, I find it amusing; like telling the lady from Orange that put me on hold that I had to talk whilst on hold because out telephone system disconnects after two minues inactivity; she came back and I said she'd missed me yodelling George Formby's Greatest hits - not an insult - but she was highly amused ... bit like me with The One Show enquiry ... nuff said.

No of course not.

Your wife isn't Welsh shes up from Geordieland somewhere I think.

...and a "tiny wifette" hardly fits the description of a whale.

My bathroom shower has broken down and I was looking for some help / parts on the Internet.

When I came back to Sheffield History the banner ad on the home page (without an icon alongside it) was for Plumb World. :blink:

I have just had the Plumb World ad appear again with History Dudes avitar of The Bard of Avon alongside it.

This has happened because I was looking at his topic on The Manor Mercury. As he started the topic, his avitar appears alongside the add as though he personally is promoting the services of Plumb World.

Now, I am pretty sure that William Shakespeare knew absolutely nothing about energy efficient gas fired central heating boilers, electric thermostatic showers and low level flushing toilets. Further, as far as I know, History Dude does not work for Plumb World and is not on their payroll and neither does he get paid a commision for advertising their products and services. He may never have used the shop at all and may know nothing about it.

Which brings me back to my initial grievance, - Why do our avitars, which identify individual members, have to be associated with the adverts as though we personally are promoting them?

So, I'm associated with semi-naked filipino girls and not pork-pies, beer and flatulence-cures - result !

I have just had the Plumb World ad appear again with History Dudes avitar of The Bard of Avon alongside it.

This has happened because I was looking at his topic on The Manor Mercury. As he started the topic, his avitar appears alongside the add as though he personally is promoting the services of Plumb World.

Now, I am pretty sure that William Shakespeare knew absolutely nothing about energy efficient gas fired central heating boilers, electric thermostatic showers and low level flushing toilets. Further, as far as I know, History Dude does not work for Plumb World and is not on their payroll and neither does he get paid a commision for advertising their products and services. He may never have used the shop at all and may know nothing about it.

Which brings me back to my initial grievance, - Why do our avitars, which identify individual members, have to be associated with the adverts as though we personally are promoting them?

Hey Dave - our shower just went wrong too - do you think there is something more sinister afoot?

Anyway I managed to find the part on a website called "Shower Doctor" and it came within two days!

So, I'm associated with semi-naked filipino girls and not pork-pies, beer and flatulence-cures - result !

Having had a look without my ad blockers working, I also appear to be associated with the semi-naked girls :o . I feel I must make it clear that I am not one of the girls pictured, having been supplied by Tommy Wards (according to my avatar) lol .

I shall put the ad blockers on now, as I have no desire to see that particular ad any more.

I never get any ads with Phillipino girls, - just Welsh ones! :(

Hey Dave - our shower just went wrong too - do you think there is something more sinister afoot?

Anyway I managed to find the part on a website called "Shower Doctor" and it came within two days!

Definately something sinister afoot as myy shower packed up 3 weeks after its 2 year warranty had expired. :angry:

I had come across "shower doctor" and was aware of their parts service. However, as showers are high power appliances and work in a wet environment (in a shower) and they have to comply with all sorts of wiring and safety regulations I thought it better to seek professional help on this one rather than do it myself and risk breaking some safety regulations.