Old ruins at the bottom of the Moor / top tf London Road

Guest chri5

Anyone remember the old ruins at the top of London Road / bottom of the Moor? They were still there in the early/mid 80's after the DWP building had been built.

Can't find any photos :(

are you referring to Young Street ?

There is a good chance it was Young Street yes. I was young at the time so can't be sure but definitely around there.

The story in last Fridays Star, " Blitz hero buries past."

A former world war two fireman aged 94 has buried a time capsule on the Moor.

Inside the capsule are photos and artefacts documenting the history of the area

during the war years.

When the Moor got bombed in December 1940 ,stores such as Robert Brothers,

and Atkinsons were completely flattened. As we have seen on many old photographs

the Moor was left with a huge crater in the road which eventually filled with water, this

was left like this for a year or so.

My brother often tells me how he and his pals used to go fishing on the Moor during the

war. . yes on the Moor.

Firstly he and his fishing friends fished at Rivelin and what small fish they caught they

put in a jar or some bigger container if they could scrounge one. Then they would take

the fish to the big " pond " on the Moor and wait for them to grow.

Each week they would take some crumbs to feed them and add more [ or Moor ] fish.

When they looked big enough to catch with a line and rod they would spend the day fishing

on the Moor .

Why they would want to sit on a bomb site and fish instead of Rivelin I don't know.

Maybe it was something they could call their own.

Guest plain talker

My goodness, I'd forgotten that there was that "tower block" offices thingie by the Exeter Drive flats! I used to catch my bus to High Storrs school by the bank/ S&E Co-op building at the bottom of Ecclesall road.

As a youngster, I remember a market on that car park where the two lonely cars are parked( where what is now South lane curves away from the roundabout where the bus is. ) I remember a Father Christmas Grotto there, one year.

I presume from the old maps I have seen that the car park in the foreground is the site of the old Methodist Church on South Lane?

Guest plain talker

I'd hazard a guess at the picture being taken at the same time as the previous one of the S&E Co-op:- it appears to be from the same height, and from the same vantage point, just swivelled 90 degrees, to face the Hallamshire hospital, instead of along "Eccy" road.

My goodness, I'd forgotten that there was that "tower block" offices thingie by the Exeter Drive flats! I used to catch my bus to High Storrs school by the bank/ S&E Co-op building at the bottom of Ecclesall road.

As a youngster, I remember a market on that car park where the two lonely cars are parked( where what is now South lane curves away from the roundabout where the bus is. ) I remember a Father Christmas Grotto there, one year.

I presume from the old maps I have seen that the car park in the foreground is the site of the old Methodist Church on South Lane?

If that's the block I think it is, then it was Davy Computing in the seventies.

Guest plain talker
If that's the block I think it is, then it was Davy Computing in the seventies.

yes, Henry, I think you are right.

Two pics taken from Moorfoot Building 1985

This one looking up Ecclesall Rd - can see the Davy Computing building quite clearly plus the old Cinema on Ecclesall Rd.

Plus this one looking up London Rd with Barclays Bank still on the corner.

On 18/12/2012 at 2:12 PM, RichardB said:

Hi all

Richard I think this picture is the closest in terms of my memory of the buildings. 

It was just one side of the building remaining. I remember my mum saying at the time (early / mid eighties) that building will fall down next week, she used to say it every week for about a year. 

On 18 December 2012 at 10:14, plain talker said:

There was a Father Christmas Grotto at the Moorfoot throughout the 1960's, used to go every year as a kid.