Railway Ancestors On Ancestry

Lyn 1

HI

Could anyone who has a full subscription to Ancestry do a lookup for me please. I only have the basic subs to it.

It is the section for Railway Ancestors. I'm wanting any details of Joseph Rose born in 1861 who worked for the Great Western Railway at Swindon approx 1890 - 1927.

Many thanks.

Lyn

There is a joseph Rose on there but as I can't view the full details I don't know if it is mine . Born 1861 Swindon. Yes that is him in the census.

Thanks

Lyn

There's a tree on Ancestry for Joseph Rose born 1861, wife Annie J, Children as in census shown above but no more info than that given in the census.There is also a private tree for a Naomi Beatrice Rose but of course no details published.

In 1911, Joseph and Annie are living at 5 Radnor Street, Swindon with children Alfred John Victor, Ernest Jessy, Elsie Violet, Ethel Pansy and granddaughter Pearle Imeson born Llandudno, Wales 1904.

There's a marriage for Joseph and Annie Jane George in1883, Highwood, Wiltshire.

What I couldn't find was the "Railway Section" on Ancestry?

Gill

Hi Lynn

I tried but couldn't find him. Tried narrowing it down to just GWR and then for the whole database. The employment records for GWR state from 1838-1943 but are only from 1890-1943.

Do you have his exact dob, or any more info on him?

There is a death for Joseph Rose, Swindon, died 1927 on Free BMD, age 66.

Gill

I've found the Railway section, no problem, not managed to make any great use of it as yet.

What I couldn't find was the "Railway Section" on Ancestry?

Gill

I just clicked on this link in Ancestry

and input Joseph Rose born 1861 Swindon and his was the first name to come up on the index. I know he worked for them and a Joseph Rose appears on the index. In the 1911 census -

1911 census 5 Radnor st Swindon 6 rooms

Joseph Rose 51 lab GW Railway Swindon

Maybe your opening page on Ancestry is different to mIne!

Just tried again and got this by typing in his name, year born 1861 and GWER Swindon

Joseph Rose year location company

Lyn

Hi

I searched The Railway Records on our office computer (where I'm not logged in) just to see the results you were getting.(in fact nothing but the name!!)

This Joseph Rose which comes up first is from Crewe in Cheshire and was employed at London & North Western

I tried again (logged in) with "exact" searches and although a number of J Roses came up, there was nothing to match him in years - either far too young or far too old.