Penny Farthing Night Club

gregconn

I have not seen any discussion on the Penny Farthing Night Club it was just off Furnival Gate it must have been one of the first night clubs to open in the city I was a regular visitor back in the 1960's. Any other memories of it out there.

I used to go to The Penny Farthing it was one of the few where you had to be a Member

without your Membership card you could not get in. The DJ was or became The Emperor Roscoe.

Poppychristina, remind me where was the Heartbeat?

The Pennyfarthing was the place to go after the pubs had closed, I seem to remember there was always a queue to get in as midnight approached.

A mass exadus at 2.00am when it closed, and most then drove home.

Poppychristina, remind me where was the Heartbeat?

The Pennyfarthing was the place to go after the pubs had closed, I seem to remember there was always a queue to get in as midnight approached.

A mass exadus at 2.00am when it closed, and most then drove home.

SH link .. Heartbeat or Samantha's

Was always at the Penny Farthing on a Wednesday night - Ladies night, free before 10 to get in. Had to show membership card. Remember seeing Sheffield United player Tony Currie there one night, surrounded by lusting girls :rolleyes: !!!

I'm suprisedthat the Penny Farthing 's not been mentioned before I thought it had

I've just had a glance through but can't find anything.

I think the membership might have just been at the beginning because I remember going in

but I never had a membership card.

The United players were always in, especially Tony Currie.

I was once was chatted up by the actor Howell Bennett while his then girlfriend Kathy McGowan

was sat in one of those cubicle, the cheek of it :rolleyes::o

I didn't care much for him then because he was a bit of a big head but his acting got better as

he matured.

Guest Julie A

I know my older brother and sister used to go to the Penny Farthing . I was only little and couldnt wait till i grew up so i could go , it had gone by the time i was old enough , well , 15 anyway lol

Come on Sheffield History, we couldn't afford a camera and go clubbing as well. he he

Remember going to join up before opening night, 1965/66 I think

Guest Michael Wright

Hi I worked at the Heartbeat, and spent a lot of time in the P'Farthing I still have my membership card. Michael

Hello my name is Linda. Seems like a long time since anyone posted on the Penny Farthing. My friend Jackie and I used to go ever Monday night to see Joe Cocker. This was back in the 60's, jeez now I am coming up to 74 years old. Yes I also remember David Lidgard and the other names mentioned. I have lived in the States since 1984 but really miss my days living in Sheffield. I have such wonderful memories.. My name then was Linda Woodrow and it was at the Fiesta that I met Elton John.

On 26/08/2011 at 01:47, POPPYCHRISTINA said:

I used to get in free as I worked at The Heartbeat .

So did i worked as catering manager behind the bar and on the door at the heartbeat, then the larcarno spent alot of time in the farthing too.

Ronnie Crookes was the door manager, he was an ex boxer and built like a brick toilet. He was very good at his job and normally used his mouth instead of his fists, which was fortunate having witnessed one of his very odd shows of force.