1841 Census - Hannah Rolley Publican Of Rockingham St. Sheff.

Guest K.J. Rolley

Guest K.J. Rolley

Hi all, I'm new here and found this site whilst researching my family tree. I was born in Sheffield and I have so far traced my ancestors back to about 1750 all in Sheffield and am still working on the family tree. I'm wondering if anyone can help me fill in some blanks? One of my ancestors - Hannah Rolley b: 1818 is listed in the 1741 census as being a Publican, and in Pigot's 1841 - Sheffield Trade Index (via Sheffield Records online) as being a beer retailer. She is listed as living at 184 Rockingham Street, Sheffield. I'm wondering if the property she lived at was above a pub, perhaps? This is pure conjecture, of course but if anyone can help me out I'd be much obliged. Thanks in advance.

Hello, I'm as old as dirt here; Welcome to the site.

Portland, Rockingham Street, I think.

In my signature in this reply, click on Sheffield History Google Search Tool - it will take you to a search page - try a few variations e.g. 184 Rockingham

it's a great resource and should enable you, as a newcomer, to find great "stuff".

Best of luck, please let us know how you get on, there has been considerable effort put into the all sorts of research; some great people have contributed and me also. lol

For everyone - click on the Sheffield History Google Search Tool - all moderators have it in their signatre (Vox, Steve, Stuart, Ukelele Lady, Trefcon, Dave etc etc - any reply to anything by any moderator will do, you are never more than two clicks away from it, it takes you to a safe, Sheffield History search page, it the way the moderators find information, best of all it's free.

The research that goes into providing "the answers" isn't always free, your attention is drawn, politely, to the Donate section.

But most of all search, let us know, if you can't find it let us know, we'll do our best on your behalf.

Free, Polite and Helpful - that's the aim.

Hi all, I'm new here and found this site whilst researching my family tree. I was born in Sheffield and I have so far traced my ancestors back to about 1750 all in Sheffield and am still working on the family tree. I'm wondering if anyone can help me fill in some blanks? One of my ancestors - Hannah Rolley b: 1818 is listed in the 1741 census as being a Publican, and in Pigot's 1841 - Sheffield Trade Index (via Sheffield Records online) as being a beer retailer. She is listed as living at 184 Rockingham Street, Sheffield. I'm wondering if the property she lived at was above a pub, perhaps? This is pure conjecture, of course but if anyone can help me out I'd be much obliged. Thanks in advance.

Guest K.J. Rolley

Thanks so much for the info/pointers. I was pleased to find that. I have another ancestor who was a publican also so now I know where to look. :-)

I was amused to find this whilst looking through the records: "Mrs Fanny Badger Grocer and Beer Retailer 23 Walkley Road Kelly's 1893" *snark*

Guest Decky Doris

Hi, I am also researching my family tree. My Great Grandmother was a Rolley of Sheffield. Her Grandad was Eli Rolley born 1831 at Bonsall, Derbyshire. Eli, along with several other Rolleys moved to Sheffield throughout the 1800s, I assume, to find work. Some stayed in and around Bonsall. I'm wondering if your Rolleys and mine are connected. If you would like any information about my Rolleys, please let me know. If there is a connection, perhaps we may be able to find it.