The Under Gardener's Lodge- Norfolk Park

Guest shullie

Is this the one History Dude?

Yes that's it ;-)

There's lots of Catholic graves around it. I believe nearby it is a memorial to Belgian troops and refugees who died in WW1.

Yes that's it ;-)

There's lots of Catholic graves around it. I believe nearby it is a memorial to Belgian troops and refugees who died in WW1.

Not spotted the Belgian memorial in there but there is war memorial to servicemen at the top end near the Travellers Rest pub and close to the chapel is another memorial to those killed in the Sheffield Blitz.

Not spotted the Belgian memorial in there but there is war memorial to servicemen at the top end near the Travellers Rest pub and close to the chapel is another memorial to those killed in the Sheffield Blitz.

I think the Belgian one is on the other side to the chapel of your photograph, certainly heading in the direction towards the entrance that leads to Manor Lane. The pub is a supermarket now of course.

I think the Belgian one is on the other side to the chapel of your photograph, certainly heading in the direction towards the entrance that leads to Manor Lane. The pub is a supermarket now of course.

Have to look out for the Belgian memorial next time I go to the cemetry.

There are not many pubs left in this area that are still pubs, - but like many old Sheffielders I navigate around the City using old pubs (as was) as recognisable landmarks in fixed locations.

Guest shullie

There are not many pubs left in this area that are still pubs, - but like many old Sheffielders I navigate around the City using old pubs (as was) as recognisable landmarks in fixed locations.

Glad I am not the only one - forget the street names, just the pub names on the pub crawl we use to do in out 'yuf'

Guest jackanory

Charles Wittle lived at no 3,Arbourthorne Cottages he was the head gardener.My relations have lived there over 40yrs.If you go into the centre in the park you will see some pictures of them up on the wall.Lots of pictures of the Lodge on picturesheffield.com.

Guest harestone

I read this last night so decided to have a look today, and there is indeed a memorial for the Belgians, bloody huge thing it is too, it's located to the side of the building as you're facing the entrance.