Angus Square

Guest Reddles

Guest Reddles

Hi,

Does anyone recall Angus Square? It was off Summerfield Street, bottom of Ecclesall Road. A little row of terraces I presume. If anyone could describe it for me or even share a photo I would be really grateful.

I know there were quite a lot of firms in the area as well so any info on which businesses were there in 1920/30/40's would be great

Oh also - don't want much do I? - anything about St Matthias church, although I have found something on picture Sheffield.

Thanks a million :rolleyes:

Well, that's a new one on me. Angus Square.

Very little data (more to follow, but possibly older that you are interested in ?), but here goes :

Mrs Mary Marshall, Dress maker, 4 Angus Square from Kelly's 1893

and John Henry Mason, Chimney sweeper, 5 Angus Square, Summerfield Street 1905, 1911, 1919 and 1925

[There is also mention of Mrs Jane Elliott, butcher of 3 Summerfield St. & 1 Angus St. - which I feel must be in close proximity).

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=s13050&prevUrl=

December 1966 ... it says.

Guest Barbara M

My Mothers brother Fred & his wife Nellie Vale lived at 20 Angus Square from getting married at St Mathias in 1945 to moving to Leeds in the 1960's.

I remember going to their house , which was a two up & one down ( back to back house ) & if you looked across from the front door there was an open conduit with, I think , the river Sheaf or it may have been the Porter, running below.

Wards brewery was also there too. This gave off wonderful aromas when they were brewing !!

The photo from Picture Sheffield shows my Aunt & Uncles house as it was the first one in the terrace & my Aunts friend Edna, lived further up the terrace.

Memories !!

Barbara M

Guest Reddles

Thank you for your post, that matches totally my father's recollections of the back to back housing. (My grt grandparents and Grandma (Oldale) lived at No 16 upto 1918ish and my GG Aunt & GG Uncle Oldale lived in no 3 upto 1959) Dad says as a child visiting it seemed great fun when the cellars used to flood if the river was high and they used planks on bricks in the cellar to reach the coal pile.

Guest Barbara M

Thank you for your post, that matches totally my father's recollections of the back to back housing. (My grt grandparents and Grandma (Oldale) lived at No 16 upto 1918ish and my GG Aunt & GG Uncle Oldale lived in no 3 upto 1959) Dad says as a child visiting it seemed great fun when the cellars used to flood if the river was high and they used planks on bricks in the cellar to reach the coal pile.

Have you by any chance got a Tommy Oldale in your family tree that kept the " Bird in Hand " on Broughton Lane, Attercliffe.

Only I have recollections of a family who knew / were related ? to my family around the late 1940's/ 50's , in that era friends were known as " Aunty & Uncle " but were not possibly related .

It would have been in the '50s when Tommy & His family kept the pub, and he was in the forces during the war & got shot down in the desert from what I can remember.

It's a long shot but with the connection with Angus Square, it made me wonder.

Barbara M

Guest Reddles

Have you by any chance got a Tommy Oldale in your family tree that kept the " Bird in Hand " on Broughton Lane, Attercliffe.

Only I have recollections of a family who knew / were related ? to my family around the late 1940's/ 50's , in that era friends were known as " Aunty & Uncle " but were not possibly related .

It would have been in the '50s when Tommy & His family kept the pub, and he was in the forces during the war & got shot down in the desert from what I can remember.

It's a long shot but with the connection with Angus Square, it made me wonder.

Barbara M

Not that I'm aware of up to now - my lot were too busy making cutlery. There has been work on the Sheffield Oldale's by researchers who have got a lot further than me though.

RichardB & Vox - thank you for doing 'your stuff'

Edith Edna Johnson

Birth: 17 January 1883 -- 6 Angus Square, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield

Death: 22 June 1950 -- Sheffield

Rootsweb

--------------------------------------------

Joseph Robinson Lindley - Life Insurance Agent

Birth Dec 1858 Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England

Residence 1881 19, Angus Square, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England

www.red1st.com

Guest Barbara M

Re Edith Edna Johnson in your last post, I think she must have been my Aunts friend , Edna's mother , Edna never married & she worked with my Aunt at a company on Napier St during & after the war making machine tools , but the company name escapes me at the moment !!

Edna was a hunchback & a lovely lady & she was around in the 60's that I do know.

So thanks for this Vox & thanks to Reddles for the info about the Oldales.

Barbara

Re Edith Edna Johnson in your last post, I think she must have been my Aunts friend , Edna's mother , Edna never married & she worked with my Aunt at a company on Napier St during & after the war making machine tools , but the company name escapes me at the moment !!

Edna was a hunchback & a lovely lady & she was around in the 60's that I do know.

So thanks for this Vox & thanks to Reddles for the info about the Oldales.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

does the firm/name 'James Neill' ring any bells ?

SH link .. sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums

Grace's Guide