1949 - Sheffield Telegraph Scans

vox

Ward & Payne Ltd, Lymbrick Works, Hillsborough, S6

I lived close to the Ward & Payne Limbrick Works when it burnt down in about 1971.

We were awoken by curious popping noises. I pulled on my dressing gown and followed the noise and flames to a point in a yard in Holme Lane the other side of the river to the works. The yard was full of people in their nightwear watching the spectacle.

Within the factory yard was an old detached house which I guess belonged to the caretaker. While we were watching the radiant heat from the fire smashed the windows and we saw the curtains catch fire. Within about thirty seconds the slates on the roof erupted and a sheet of flame came out. I remember thinking how quickly the fire caught but I guess the house contents must have been cooking for some time in the heat.

The site was cleared and a small housing development erected in it's place.

HD

Situations Vacant

A.H.Bisby & Co

Portobelo Place

---------------------------------

Thompson, Red Lion Hotel, Heeley

The advert for Bisbys on Portobello brought back memories for me as I worked at the next firm to them, J.Donnellys making Carver Forks. Keith the son of Mr Bisby joined George Butlers when I was working there in the nineties, Keith was a gentleman, always well groomed, in short a lovely man, sadley earlier this year he passed away. The list pasted below show members of Keiths family that were drowned when the Dale Dyke Dam burst. I remember him telling me all this when we were chatting one day.

Bisby, Elizabeth 12 Malin Bridge — Name is Eliza rather than Elizabeth; from 1861 census. Bisby, George 44 Malin Bridge Sheffield Wadsley 23, 2756, 6136 — 42 in burial records and 44 on death certificate. Bisby, Hannah 6 Malin Bridge — Name is Ann rather than Hannah (1861 census). Bisby, Hugh 4 Malin Bridge Bisby, Sarah 43 Malin Bridge 16 Mar 1864 — Found and buried at Burngreave . Bisby, Teresa 14 Malin Bridge Sheffield Wadsley — Aged 13; buried at Burngreave, not Wadsley. Bisby, Thomas 9 Malin Bridge

James Ryals & Co. - 63, St Mary's Road

Greaves Ltd, Sydney Street

(A mention of The Control Of Engagement Order)

Duncan Gilmour & Co. Dixon Lane, Sheffield 1

Unwin, 550, Langsett Road.

Atkin Bros. Truro Works, Matilda St.

Ward & Payne Ltd, Lymbrick Works, Hillsborough, S6

The building on the left is where James Ryals stood.They were bought out by George Butlers, who were situated on Sidney St,that was in the late sixties I believe.I joined Butlers in the early seventies.