Is This The Best Film Ever?

THYLACINE

I always meant to see it. Now I have. They showed La Vie en Rose on TV recently and I am totally knocked out by this film. It ranks alongside 'Whistle Down The Wind', 'Kes' and 'Forest Gump' as the films that have brought me the greatest pleasure. I think I would rate it the best - or am I just besotted by Marion Cotillard? What a brilliant actress, the scenes with Marcel Cerdan in the hamburger joint and in the restaurant are pure gold.

So now I have gone a bit crazy, downloading all the old black and white You Tube clips of Edith Piaf singing her classic songs.

As a footnote, I thought I would use the search tool to see if this subject had been mentioned before. I typed in the words La Vie en Rose and received this message:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Do you think Lavieenrose would work?

I always meant to see it. Now I have. They showed La Vie en Rose on TV recently and I am totally knocked out by this film. It ranks alongside 'Whistle Down The Wind', 'Kes' and 'Forest Gump' as the films that have brought me the greatest pleasure. I think I would rate it the best - or am I just besotted by Marion Cotillard? What a brilliant actress, the scenes with Marcel Cerdan in the hamburger joint and in the restaurant are pure gold.

So now I have gone a bit crazy, downloading all the old black and white You Tube clips of Edith Piaf singing her classic songs.

As a footnote, I thought I would use the search tool to see if this subject had been mentioned before. I typed in the words La Vie en Rose and received this message:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Do you think Lavieenrose would work?

Hi Thylacine

It's rubbish isn't it - the search facility.

For this reason we've added the Sheffield History Google Search Tool to the bottom of our posts. All the Admins have it. You'll find it works very well.

Just watched £10 Poms by the way - many thanks for that Sir. Appreciated.

Mine is below.

Sheffield History Google Search Tool

Try mine in the signature block below :

Search for

Who can tell

it works !!!

Thanks Vox, Richard. I'll remember that in future.

I'm warming to the new layout, some vastly improved features e.g.

'My Profile . .My Settings' . . etc and 'New Content' Much easier to follow.

I wouldn't like to even start thinking what may be me favourite film as there are just too many candidates.

However, Edith Piaf, the little sparrow, - what a star.

How many foreign singers, that never sing in English only in their native tongue (in this case, French) have had such an impact in this country.

In fact many would be hard pushed to name a foreign singer and one of their popular songs not in the English language at all.

So Edith Piaf with "La Viande rose" (the meat rose?) and "Je ne regreterand" (I have no regrets) to name just 2 take some beating.

I wouldn't like to even start thinking what may be me favourite film as there are just too many candidates.

However, Edith Piaf, the little sparrow, - what a star.

How many foreign singers, that never sing in English only in their native tongue (in this case, French) have had such an impact in this country.

In fact many would be hard pushed to name a foreign singer and one of their popular songs not in the English language at all.

So Edith Piaf with "La Viande rose" (the meat rose?) and "Je ne regreterand" (I have no regrets) to name just 2 take some beating.

Surely "La viande rose" could translate as pink meat,as in a rare steak :) . The actual title of the song is "La vie en rose", which translates as the life in pink (although I have seen it translated as bed of roses, as in life is a bed of roses). The other song you mention is "Je ne regrette rien".

Time to go into the loft and search out the old Piaf LP - got a song in my head now :o .

Surely "La viande rose" could translate as pink meat,as in a rare steak :) . The actual title of the song is "La vie en rose", which translates as the life in pink (although I have seen it translated as bed of roses, as in life is a bed of roses). The other song you mention is "Je ne regrette rien".

Time to go into the loft and search out the old Piaf LP - got a song in my head now :o .

To me viande just means meat. It is a useful word to know in France when you want to buy some proper bacon but they keep offering you ham or gammon (jambon) or that thin sliced tissue paper "Parma style" meat. I end up going through all the "viandes du couchon" until I can say "Oui" rather than "non" to what is being offered.

Pink meat sounds good, - but obviously not an easy or direct translation from the French in this case.

My appologies for the poor French written work on "Je ne regrette rien". I put it down to me posting in the evening while drinking wine so it must be the drink. However, it was a very nice Bordeaux wine and French wine should make you better at French shouldn't it.

I won't even attempt to translate Edith's other big song "Milord" into English.

OK, thats 3 French songs from a French Star.

How many other foreign stars can we name 3 foreign language songs of?

Marlene Dietrice perhaps?

Surely "La viande rose" could translate as pink meat,as in a rare steak

I thought the word the French used for a very rare steak was "bleu" (blue), - a blue steak.

For those unfamiliar with French cuisine this is a raw steak which has perhaps been waved above a candle for a few seconds to cook it before serving. It is hardly cooked at all.

The French are not ones for heavily cooking meat and their versions of "rare", "medium" and "well done" are several degrees less done than our understanding of these terms.

What we would descibe as "medium" the French would call "burnt", and our "well done" to them is "cremated"

Yes, - the full title is "La vie en rose"

Which is nothing to do with meat at all

It was just my hungry carnivorous lust for meat that got the better of me

A nice piece of viande (meat) goes very well with a bottle of French Bordeaux claret, - unless of course you are a vegetarian.

Anyway, here is Edith singing La vie en rose

<object width="480" height="402"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x1dlz2"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x1dlz2" width="480" height="402" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1dlz2_edith-piaf-la-vie-en-rose_music" target="_blank">Edith Piaf - La Vie En Rose</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/bigproblem11" target="_blank">bigproblem11</a></i>

To me viande just means meat. It is a useful word to know in France when you want to buy some proper bacon but they keep offering you ham or gammon (jambon) or that thin sliced tissue paper "Parma style" meat. I end up going through all the "viandes du couchon" until I can say "Oui" rather than "non" to what is being offered.

Pink meat sounds good, - but obviously not an easy or direct translation from the French in this case.

My appologies for the poor French written work on "Je ne regrette rien". I put it down to me posting in the evening while drinking wine so it must be the drink. However, it was a very nice Bordeaux wine and French wine should make you better at French shouldn't it.

I won't even attempt to translate Edith's other big song "Milord" into English.

OK, thats 3 French songs from a French Star.

How many other foreign stars can we name 3 foreign language songs of?

Marlene Dietrice perhaps?

The only Deitrich song I know off the top of my head is Lily Marlene. Ive racked my brains and searched through my record collection and reached the conclusion that there is none other like Edith Piaf. The only foreign language album I have (excluding classical music) is Edith Piaf. On an album of Great Italian Love Songs, Lou Monte sings Volare, Sorrento and O Sole Mio. But they are not his songs, everybody and his dog have covered those great Italian classics.

I borrowed an Edith Piaf CD from the library and was playing it at work one day on the computer (as you do). I was quite surprised when my boss started singing along with it. At the time, I knew he was from an Hungarian Jewish family. He was in his eighties then, still coming to work every day in his suit, collar and tie and monogrammed shirt. He reminded me (and still does) of Aristotle Onassis. He told me that he and his brother escaped from Hungary in May 1944 ahead of the Nazi invasion. They made their way across Europe on foot and ended up in Paris where he stayed until the end of the war. Unable to return home due to the Soviet occupation, he eventually emigrated to Australia. During his time in Paris, Edith Piaf was an emerging star and hearing her music must have brought back special memories for him.

The only Deitrich song I know off the top of my head is Lily Marlene. Ive racked my brains and searched through my record collection and reached the conclusion that there is none other like Edith Piaf. The only foreign language album I have (excluding classical music) is Edith Piaf. On an album of Great Italian Love Songs, Lou Monte sings Volare, Sorrento and O Sole Mio. But they are not his songs, everybody and his dog have covered those great Italian classics.

You are on a loser with Marlene.

Although she is German and did sing a lot of stuff in German most of her famous works like "Falling in love again", "Lily Marlene" and "Where have all the flowers gone?" to name just 3 were in English mainly due to her appearances in films and the contracts she held.

Amazingly she was very popular in Britain during the War mainly because of her sultry but good English singing voice.

She was multilingual and also sang in French, - she did a version of Edith Piaf's "La vie en rose"

But I would be hard pushed to name any of her many German language hits.