Death Cert For Isabella Bruce

skala

Have been trying to get a death cert for my great great Grandmother Isabella Bruce without success for a number of years.She is shown on the buriel index as buried on 8th Dec 1844 in St Peter and St Paul's.I have enquired at the Sheffield Registry Office to no avail and she is not shown on BMD or other sites.She is shown on the 1841 census living with husband George and son George in the Wicker could be Stanley Street.I have hit a brick wall as i have no maiden name for her and from the census it shows her birth as Ireland.Can any one come up with ideas to move my research forward.Thanks

Spent an hour on this, got no further than you - other than to say she was "shoe-horned" onto the bottom of the census page - I've no idea why - the son is the first line on the next page - I've never seen that before.

Just so you know someone is trying on your behalf.

Have been trying to get a death cert for my great great Grandmother Isabella Bruce without success for a number of years.She is shown on the buriel index as buried on 8th Dec 1844 in St Peter and St Paul's.I have enquired at the Sheffield Registry Office to no avail and she is not shown on BMD or other sites.She is shown on the 1841 census living with husband George and son George in the Wicker could be Stanley Street.I have hit a brick wall as i have no maiden name for her and from the census it shows her birth as Ireland.Can any one come up with ideas to move my research forward.Thanks

Guest DoreenC

Like Richard, I have also looked for this death registration.

Just a thought .....If Isabella died in Ireland (visiting relatives?) and her body was brought back to England to be buried, would the death be registered in Ireland?

I've just had a look at the SDFHS Sheffield churchyard burials disc and the Isabella Bruce buried 8 Dec 1844 at the Cathedral age 42, of Stanley Street was the wife of William, shoemaker.

Yet in 1841 Isabella was married to George and living on The Wicker.

Before the Births and Deaths registration Act of 1874 a body could be disposed of without a certificate.

I have 2 death certificates where the death was registered 7 and 12 days after the burial.

The responsibility for recording a death was placed on a relation of the deceased. The registration had to be supported by a certificate signed by a doctor, and the death had to be registered within 5 days.

From 1926

To prevent the irregular disposal of bodies, the Births and Deaths Registration Act of 1926 (Act of 16 & 17 George V, Chapter 48) introduced the requirement for a registrar's certificate or coroner's order to be produced before a burial or cremation could take place. It also required a notice of disposal to be sent to the registrar after the funeral had taken place.

Before the Births and Deaths registration Act of 1874 a body could be disposed of without a certificate.

This seems to be contradicted by the following newspaper report, from the Sheffield Independent, but relating to Huddersfield:

8 Jun 1844

Caution to Sextons

An information was recently laid by the registrar of births and deaths, for the Huddersfield district against the sexton of the parish church, for burying an infant without the registrar's certificate, and for neglecting to give notice within seven days of the burial as required by the Registartion Act. He was fined in the mitigated penalty of £2. The Act requires that all children born alive, shall be registered, and even though a child should live only for a few minutes, its birth and death must both be registered. Persons neglecting to inform the registrar of births and deaths in their families or houses, are deemed guilty of misdemeanor.

Hugh