The Upgrade

Guest Unitedite

Guest Unitedite

The new look!!

Seriously impressed. :)

Looks stunning.

Well done guys / girls.

I think that I might miss the good old USS Enterprise type "star dates" though. I'm not sure that a proper time and date reference will ever have the same appeal. ;-)

Well it might look all right but it has taken me ages to get on and now it is not working right for me. My name has come on as if I am signed on but when I went to look at my profile it says that I am not allowed to look at members profiles ! Not even my own? I have no photo's of members or avatars not even my own yet have photo's on topics. When I used the help button and tried to get in touch with an administrator it said once again I was not allowed to view. On the plus side last week I could not even post or sign in at all all I keep getting is an extension is missing please notify an administrator which I am unable to do ??? :(

Just noticed as well it tells me that no one is online yet when I check the online list there are several people on even myself but I am not on the bottom of the main page strange.

Make a note of the SheffieldHistory@Gmail address so you've got a point of contact.

I was online when it happened, quite a shock !

Make a note of the SheffieldHistory@Gmail address so you've got a point of contact.

I was online when it happened, quite a shock !

Thanks made a note of it I know that there will be teething troubles and doubt that I am the only one having problems but it's like being the invisible woman.

Well it might look all right but it has taken me ages to get on and now it is not working right for me. My name has come on as if I am signed on but when I went to look at my profile it says that I am not allowed to look at members profiles ! Not even my own? I have no photo's of members or avatars not even my own yet have photo's on topics. When I used the help button and tried to get in touch with an administrator it said once again I was not allowed to view. On the plus side last week I could not even post or sign in at all all I keep getting is an extension is missing please notify an administrator which I am unable to do ??? :(

Just noticed as well it tells me that no one is online yet when I check the online list there are several people on even myself but I am not on the bottom of the main page strange.

That's the same for everyone during busy periods when we have to restrict certain parts of the site and how it works

I still don't seem to be able to access "My Profile" or "My Content" no matter what time of day it is.

I'm sure we will all get used to the new layout but please don't go the way of Mozilla Firefox with a new version replacing the old one before I've worked out how to use the old one. lol

After a working lifetime of carrying out "preventative maintenance" and then struggling to get things working again, I'm a big believer in "If it aint broke don't touch it". There's an old tale about the modern telephone exchange only requiring the services of one man and a dog. The man is there to feed the dog and the dog is there to make sure the man doesn't touch anything.

HD

I still don't seem to be able to access "My Profile" or "My Content" no matter what time of day it is.

I'm sure we will all get used to the new layout but please don't go the way of Mozilla Firefox with a new version replacing the old one before I've worked out how to use the old one. lol

After a working lifetime of carrying out "preventative maintenance" and then struggling to get things working again, I'm a big believer in "If it aint broke don't touch it". There's an old tale about the modern telephone exchange only requiring the services of one man and a dog. The man is there to feed the dog and the dog is there to make sure the man doesn't touch anything.

HD

Due to cutbacks at BT the dog has been made redundant and there are that few men they spend their time travelling from exchange to exchange and don't have time to touch anything lol

HD

I logged out and back in again and all is now sweetness and light.

I must admit I normally leave myself logged in for days at a time, is this a slapped hand matter ?

Should I log out each time I leave, is this better for the site as a whole ?

HD

One thing which has changed which I don't like - in the old version it would automatically scroll down the page to the post you'd read up to previously, which was very useful in longer threads however after the upgrade this doesn't happen, instead you have to manually find your place.

Looks good to me now as well must admit though I am another one that doesn't log out every time so is it slapped hands all round.

I can't remember ever logging out unless I was trying to "jolt" the site back into action or something or obviously when I had cleared cookies.

I don't see what difference it makes to the site as a whole one way or the other.

I think the only reason for logging out is so that no one else can access the site from your machine without your knowledge.

One thing which has changed which I don't like - in the old version it would automatically scroll down the page to the post you'd read up to previously, which was very useful in longer threads however after the upgrade this doesn't happen, instead you have to manually find your place.

There's a little "spot at the left side of the post title JSP. This takes you to the first unread post.

There's a little "spot at the left side of the post title JSP. This takes you to the first unread post.

I see! Thanks Vox :D

I can't remember ever logging out unless I was trying to "jolt" the site back into action or something or obviously when I had cleared cookies.

I don't see what difference it makes to the site as a whole one way or the other.

I think the only reason for logging out is so that no one else can access the site from your machine without your knowledge.

I always log out when I am not actively on the site.

This way people know that I am not available.

Also, the "spy" in me frequently lets me browse the site without being logged on so that I only appear as "guest" in the listing, - I like lurking

So some people appear to be online and logged on, but actually they are not in front of their computer at all (try sending them a PM and see if they respond or if it takes ages) I know my old mate Stuart0742 frequently does this.

Other people (me) appear not to be online or be around but are secretly lurking about in the background undetected. (although I have never used the "log on annonomously" option)

Either way I don't see that it makes much difference or that it affects the running of the site in any way.

The new look site did look quite impressive.

That impressiveness only continued however, until I too found that I could not log onto the forum.

I then too found that I reportedly "had an extension missing" and that I too was asked to "contact the administrator", which I too was unable to do.

In the end, one of the moderators was kind enough to contact the administration upon my behalf [thanks again for the help] and eventually, I found the means to contact them directly, although I am certain that that contact facility was not there initially.

However, two weeks later and at the time of writing, it is my belief that Administration have still not had the common courtesy to respond to either, my submissions, or to those that were made by others upon my behalf. Not evan an acknowledgement of receipt and in my opinion, there is absolutely no excuse for this.

So, to overcome the problem I eventually made a new application as a new user, employing a new email address. Hence, "Unitedite Returns", as opposed to "Unitedite" previously.

A successful solution, but it is not ideal and it should have been totally unnecessary had Administration showed even the slightest interest in the matter.

:angry:

Well I signed out and had trouble signing in again so think that it might be best to stay logged on. It will not accept my email address so I assume that I must have originally used a password instead when I first registered as that is accepted now. Do you think that you could have done the same Unitedite ?

Thanks for asking.

I have rarely, if ever, logged off on the old forum and to be honest, it had never occured to me, ever to do so.

I suppose that the first time intimation I had that I possibly had a problem was when I was asked to sign in when I opened the "upgraded" SH home page.

I do not recall having logged off beforehand, so I presumed initially, that this "request" was merely a consequence of the "upgrade".

When I tried to log back in, I tried my user name, my email address and all likely upper case and lower case variants. None worked.

And the "contact administrator" message I received, suggested that the matter was beyond my authority to fix anyhow.

My password is not the same as my user name just something that I must have originally used instead of an email. Thankfully I had made a note of it and firefox remembers my login details but when the new site started it even that did not work for me. Even so this site is good for me now but not always as stated on post #5 this weekend must have been busy as the site was limited to me then. I do believe it is a shared site.