Anybody ?

dunsbyowl1867

Some old postcards of Firth Park. I remember sailing a boat with my grandad on the pond which was full of water in the early 1970's - a bit of a bugger if it got stuck in the middle even though it was only a foot or two deep. Even the drinking fountain still worked and a safe to use. As for the Library a facility to be proud of though what was this towered building? .

Have been doing a lot of research into Firth Park as it is where I grew up. From what I understand the tower building was built stritly as a pavillion for the public. I know what you mean about getting the boats stuck in the middle of the pond lol . The place was also the mother lode for conkers he he

Some old postcards of Firth Park. I remember sailing a boat with my grandad on the pond which was full of water in the early 1970's - a bit of a bugger if it got stuck in the middle even though it was only a foot or two deep. Even the drinking fountain still worked and a safe to use. As for the Library a facility to be proud of though what was this towered building? .

Hi Dunsbyowl I used the boating lake to test my jet powered balsawood speed boat wich did'nt go down to well with other users but being built of balsa by a child ( me ) it did not last very long sad sad times.

Have been doing a lot of research into Firth Park as it is where I grew up. From what I understand the tower building was built stritly as a pavillion for the public. I know what you mean about getting the boats stuck in the middle of the pond lol . The place was also the mother lode for conkers he he

Have you come across the book - I can't remember the title - published by Sheffield City Libraries in the 1980s on the history of Firth Park. Well worth a read if you can find one. I'm very fond on the place myself - live nearby and spent many hours playing football in the park and my first job whilst at school was at Fine Fare for about £1.25 an hour. I noticed recently they had built a very ugly new building in the park recently to rival the very very ugly replacement building on the site of Brushes.

Have you come across the book - I can't remember the title - published by Sheffield City Libraries in the 1980s on the history of Firth Park. Well worth a read if you can find one. I'm very fond on the place myself - live nearby and spent many hours playing football in the park and my first job whilst at school was at Fine Fare for about £1.25 an hour. I noticed recently they had built a very ugly new building in the park recently to rival the very very ugly replacement building on the site of Brushes.

Ha ha that was my first job too. was there a while. I used to hate having to bale all the carboard boxes in that press machine.

Ha ha that was my first job too. was there a while. I used to hate having to bale all the carboard boxes in that press machine.

My favorite memory is the "security check" devised by the assistant manager Mr C. He would put the alarm on they shove a broom handle through the doors and order everyone to turn they're pockets out. Someone would then walk in front of the infa red beam and set the alarm off. When he returned from switching it off he would just let us all go muttering if we had pinched anything we'd had dumped it by then. Not the brighest spark in Firth Park!

Guest Broakham

The towered building is called Tower Lodge and is still there. Very handy if you want to learn kick-boxing with Lethal Latif.

Yes I remember the Boating Lake at Firth Park in the Late 1950s, my Dad used to take me down there to Test the Model Boats he used to Build, he made a plywood model of a Cabin Cruiser powered by a small electric motor, we used to set it going across, and walk around to meet it, I don't remember it ever getting stuck in the middle though :)

Also the Building with the Tower used to sell Ice creams and Pop in the Summer, and the other part of the Building, I think was used by the St Johns Ambulance Brigade. :)