Daft Road Marking

vox

I saw this at Killamarsh yesterday.

In view of where it is in relation to the roundabout, double white lines, keep left bollards, cross hatching etc, it seems to me that one would have some difficulty in not complying with it

Google streetview images

I'm sure there are even better examples of "over the top" signs and markings.

I saw this at Killamarsh yesterday.

In view of where it is in relation to the roundabout, double white lines, keep left bollards, cross hatching etc, it seems to me that one would have some difficulty in not complying with it

Google streetview images

I'm sure there are even better examples of "over the top" signs and markings.

This "over the top" road signing is very common

There are usually 4 signs, all different but meaning the same thing.

..and there is a good legal reason for it.

At work from our car park you drive up a drive to a junction and then to get out of the site you would normally turn right.

However, for safety (it is a school site and visibility to the right is restricted) there is a "one way system" which requires you to turn left and take a much longer route off the site.

As you go up the drive, -

It says TURN LEFT on the road

There is an arrow on the road turning to the left

There is a prohibiting sign, indicating no right turn (white circular sign, red outer ring, right turn arrow in it with a red diagonal prohibiting bar)

Finally, at the junction,

There is a left pointing arrow directly in front of you

This looks like "overkill" and that there are 4 signs all saying, in slightly different ways, that you must turn left.

However, the reason for it is this.

The standard penalty for "Failure to comply with a legally enforcible highway code sign" is a standard fine and 3 PENALTY POINTS on the drivers licence.

Now, simply by turning right here, would constsitute a charge of failing to comply with 4 road signs, giving a penalty of 3 x 4 =12 PENALTY POINTS

Under current Road Traffic Legislation 12 Penalty Points would constitute a 12 MONTH BAN FROM DRIVING

So, by giving 4 warning signs, failure to comply with the highway code at this point could lead to a 12 month driving ban rather than just a small warning, a telling off and a palty fine. Which seems OK to me if to break the highway code at that point would constitute a serious risk (The one at work does, - a risk to children entering or leaving school!)

How many signs / markings in your picture tell you what to do vox? is it 4 by any chance?

Take your point.

The thing that most amused me was that, if you were driving up hill from the mini roundabout, it's virtually impossible not to comply with the arrow at that point.

The only other way to be on the wrong side of the road at that point would be to somehow awkwardly maneuver yourself the wrong way off the roundabout.

Take your point.

The thing that most amused me was that, if you were driving up hill from the mini roundabout, it's virtually impossible not to comply with the arrow at that point.

The only other way to be on the wrong side of the road at that point would be to somehow awkwardly maneuver yourself the wrong way off the roundabout.

So let's look out for "daft" and pointless signposting rather than just "overkill, - If I've told you once I'll tell you 3 times more" signposting.

Sure we could get a few laughs out of some of the responses.