“On War Service” Badges In Ww1

peterwarr

Can anyone help with some queries about the local operation of WW1 “On War Service” badges, please?

I’m researching the activities of the Sheffield Committee on Munitions of War. This operated via the University of Sheffield, and its remaining records are fairly detailed about contracts with local companies (around a million steel helmets, half a million shells and so on). But many points are far from clear.

A summary report of October 1918 says: “For many months the issuing of War Badges required constant care and work, all applications for badges in the City were submitted to the Committee for enquiry and recommendation, thus saving the Badge Department in London a vast amount of work as they came to understand that an application carefully considered and recommended by men on the spot could be granted without further enquiry. The Committee issued a report on the subject of recruiting and the need of exemption for certain branches of the Sheffield Steel Trades. In this connection the return of skilled and necessary men from the colours formed a most important part of the Committee’s work . . . . The enquiry made and reports given in these cases were judged to be so reliable that altogether over 2,000 men have been returned from the Army.” Elsewhere in the records it is indicated that nearly 20,000 badges were issued.

It would be great to learn more. For example:

Question 1: Why is there a focus in the first words above on “for many months”? The Committee might have been busy with this over several years, but it seems as though one period caused special problems. Reading the helpful account by Tom Tulloch-Marshall (http://www.btinternet.com/~prosearch/OWS.html), I wonder if this period was the middle of 1916, when the first set of official badges was replaced by more stringent assessment. Does anyone have knowledge/ideas about what was going on in Sheffield at that time?

Question 2: The records of the Sheffield Munitions Committee contain no other documentation about this side of their activity. Are any badge applications, acceptances or other forms or letters available, please?

Question 3: Each issued badge was accompanied by a certificate naming its holder and presumably prohibiting misuse. It would be good to see one of these certificates; are any available?

Question 4: Are examples of Sheffield’s unofficial badges still in circulation? I see (from the article above and elsewhere) that from the early days of the war some companies issued their own badges to employees. Do you know of Sheffield examples? Are there any images of them?

These badges must have been part of everyday life in Sheffield, and they need to be properly documented. If you can comment on any of these questions (or anything else about the badges), that would be great.

With many thanks.

It would be great to learn more. For example:

Question 1: Why is there a focus in the first words above on "for many months"? The Committee might have been busy with this over several years, but it seems as though one period caused special problems. Reading the helpful account by Tom Tulloch-Marshall (http://www.btinternet.com/~prosearch/OWS.html), I wonder if this period was the middle of 1916, when the first set of official badges was replaced by more stringent assessment. Does anyone have knowledge/ideas about what was going on in Sheffield at that time?

On first reading, I can "suggest" a reason for your first question.

It seems to me that the exemptions during this period were made retrospectively, as many people would have volunteered when in fact they would be better employed elsewhere..

It follows that it would take a period of months to sort out the discharge of people who were actually in the forces, but were needed elsewhere.

After this time, the exemptions would have been made before people were recruited, ((they would not have been accepted) and the system would then catch up.

Have I explained my theory clearly ? It seems to make sense to me.

I stress, it is only a theory.

Guest Barbara M

The only question I can give any reply to is question 4, when we emptied my mothers home we found a couple of badges , one is a round badge which seems to be made of some kind of browny grey metal with the inscription on it : " On War Service " in the centre & round the edge " Cammell Laird & Co " & at the centre bottom is a date of 1915.

I know my Grandfather William James Ray worked at Cammell Laird at some time during his working life , he was a Turner.

The second one is a brass coloured badge shaped like a small shield across the top it says " Be United & Industrious " on a blue enamel background & " United Machine Workers Association " on same backgrond round the edge & in the centre is a figure of a woman in long flowing robes.

This could have belonged to either my grandad Ray or his son , my father Alfred William Ray who worked as a Horizontal Borer at Hatfields , Vulcan Rd all through the war. He was a member of the AEU at this time & this could have been his union badge.

I have tried to take a photo of these badges but it is not very clear but I have attached it to give you some idea what I am talking about.

Hope this helps & good luck in your quest.

Barbara M

Many thanks for your replies. I see that Vox’s idea makes good sense. I’ll work on that basis for now.

I’m delighted by Barbara M’s Cammell Laird badge. The 1915 date fits nicely with other facts. (I take it that Grandfather William James Ray worked at Cammell Laird in Sheffield.) That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for.

Might it be possible to obtain a clear photograph, please? I’m not sure what to suggest about ways of doing that. Perhaps someone has an idea? Or perhaps other people have a photo of this badge somewhere?

Thanks.

Guest Barbara M

Yes, my Grandfather worked in Sheffield, I am trying to find out where but it's not easy after all this time, there was some talk of Brown Bailey's but that was where he ended his working life.

The 1911 census gives his occupation as " Railway Carriage Fitter " & I have contacted the Science Museum to see if they can be of help & they have been back to me to say that it may take a few weeks.

Do you know of anyone that can help ?

About the Badge / Medal , I have taken another pic useing , this time , my non digital camera ( my trusty old Nikon !! ) but the trouble is waiting for the film to come back from the processors , I will get there eventually & will be back in touch soon.

Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

P.s to above .

I found a number on the back of the Badge / Medal it is :

R2 ? ( the 2 is a bit unclear ) & underneath G46227

Hope this helps.

Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

P.s to above .

I found a number on the back of the Badge / Medal it is :

R2 ? ( the 2 is a bit unclear ) & underneath G46227

Hope this helps.

Barbara M

I have managed to obtain a clearer photo sooner rather then later by asking my neighbour to borrow his digital camera !!

Here it is

Barbara M

Thanks, Barbara – that’s splendid.

I wonder if it would be acceptable for me to include a photo of the badge and mention your Grandfather, William James Ray, in a book about Sheffield in the Great War, please? The book covers many aspects of life in the city at the time, and has a chapter about munitions work and workers. I would of course acknowledge the source, and would check the text with you in advance.

However, there’s one problem. We would probably need to obtain a larger and clearer image, without reflection (from the flash?). Might that be possible, please? Or is there in fact a difference in tint?

The book is not scheduled for publication until nearer 2014, so there is no immediate hurry.

Thanks,

Peter

Guest Barbara M

I would be pleased for you to mention my Grandfather in the book , I am in the process of contacting some people that the Science Museum told me may help in finding out more about the badge & will let you know what I find out.

The badge is dark round the edge as in the photo & shiney in the middle & I don't want to clean it with metal polish in case it should be like that but I washed it in soap & water before taking the picture & it doesn't look any different to before.

If you click on the picture it brings it up to a good size.Will that help ? If not & you need to see the badge yourself I live a twenty minute drive from Sheffield.

I will leave my email address on a personal message if you need to contact me.

Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

I have been sent an article about War Service Badges by the Imperial War Museum, I will try & put it on here ...wish me luck !!

Barbara

Guest Barbara M

OWS.html

I think you may have to click on this !!

Barbara

You do but the only  problem is that the badges are not there !! Any one to help out there !!!

=========================================================================

Edit: Try this .. http://www.btinterne...search/OWS.html

:-)

Guest Barbara M

OWS.html

I think you may have to click on this !!

Barbara

You do but the only  problem is that the badges are not there !! Any one to help out there !!!

=========================================================================

Edit: Try this .. http://www.btinterne...search/OWS.html

:-)

Thanks for this Steve , I wish I knew how to do computor things !! You are very helpful & I owe you a pint !!!

Barbara

More detail, better picture (not sure where Frank Coulson Baxter was from.)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/images/SoldiersPenny.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/SoldiersPenny.html&usg=__DDbAtu6a3v_M4iSM2oybyuiEwdY=&h=471&w=480&sz=102&hl=en&start=3&zoom=1&tbnid=fah1CN83fdOrRM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=129&ei=RDVqTsXsLIeRswaWxY2-BA&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522dead%2Bman%2527s%2Bpenny%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

Courtesy 'The Star'

Many thanks to both (Waterside Echo and RichardB). Those are really helpful, and I’ll try to learn more. Do you know the date of the Star article, please?

For example, I’m at present writing an article about a local WW1 memorial, including citing some of its wording. I now see from the Star article (and the Epsom link) that part of this memorial’s text is taken from the certificate accompanying the Death Penny – news to me!

Peter

I’ve been following up my confusion about the issue of War Service Badges in Sheffield. I wanted to understand why the Sheffield Committee on Munitions was so busy about badges for a period (Question 1 in my original message).

I think I now know, and it’s something like this:

By the middle of 1915 the issue of badges had become chaotic, with lots of different kinds becoming available. Here are some excerpts from a letter in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph on 15 July 1915.

“Some months ago my employers presented me with an official war service badge to wear in the lapel of my coat. I was informed that the badge, which is of brass with a crown, surrounded by “On War Service 1914” in blue enamel, was provided by the government for men of military age engaged in munition and kindred trades. (Incidentally, I was made to deposit 2s. 6d. with my employers, which is to be returned when I return the badge at the conclusion of my service.)

Judge of my surprise when I saw the self-same badges advertised for sale by a Birmingham firm of button makers. I have also seen colorable (sic) imitations, the only difference being the counterfeit in one case bore the legend “He is doing his duty” or some such twaddle, and in the other the crown was routed out and the initials of the firm, together with a number, substituted.

In other cases, firms are issuing elaborate buttonhole badges of quite different design to the official badge.

A druggist’s assistant several years over military age showed me an official badge which he had obtained through a friend in one of the local armament works. Today I saw a gentleman between 50 and 60 years of age wearing one of the official badges. . . . .

It is so easy to obtain a badge that the possession of one is no guarantee that the wearer is not a slacker, so I now leave mine at home.”

The Ministry of Munitions was formed in June 1915, and soon decided to issue a single type of badge to replace the Admiralty and War Office versions. The new badge was to be granted specifically to named and approved individuals rather than being issued to entire companies. In a huge nationwide administrative task, around half a million previously-issued badges had to be called in and assessments had to be made of a similar number of men in potentially appropriate jobs. This process was assisted in Sheffield by the Committee on Munitions of War, and more than 10,000 new badges were issued in the city after recommendations from the Committee. The nation was now in an era of “debadging” and “rebadging”.

But procedures changed over and over again, before as well as after this time. Very difficult to grasp!