Old Synagogue Bailey House

Guest terrialexa

The oldest reference to Sheffield Jews is in a Trade Directory of 1797. Another early reference is in the Jewish Chronicle which refers to a Prayer House at the home of Solomon Myer in Union Street. This is dated 1817. According to the "Jewish Community and Records" ( JCR-UK***) the earliest Sheffield Synagogue was that on Figtree Lane. It was formerly a private school and, in 1847 rented from the Town Trustees ( and here's where the differing dates come in)...purchased in 1851 for £350.

Another Synagogue was formed on Holly Street ( formerly Blind Lane) in, according to the Sheffield Jewry Commentary, 1831 or, according to the Jewish Chronicle, 1838.

The North Church Street Synagogue had its foundation stone laid in 1872.

*** www. jewishgen.org

I am aware of Dr. Moses Morgoliouth (1820-1881) and also that he was a much respected Minister in the Church of England.I have read some of his works including his Six lectures on the "Antiquities of Jews in England" but have never noticed mention of a specific Synagogue in West Bar Green, Sheffield . I am intrigued!

I read somewhere there was a split in the Jewish Community in Sheffield and there were two Synagogues open at the same time. The Mikvah which was in a house on Victoria street was free to the women of one group but all others were charged for its use.

I hope this adds to the discussion.

PopT