The George At Tinsley

Guest old yorkshire lad

Guest old yorkshire lad

This small pub still existed in 1970. The landlord at that time was Walter Hewitt and his wife Mary. It was in the middle of the steelworks somewhere near Tinsley roundabout. My wife remembers helping out a few times whilst they had an evening off. The only customers were steelworkers.

Does anybody know anything about this pub?

This small pub still existed in 1970. The landlord at that time was Walter Hewitt and his wife Mary. It was in the middle of the steelworks somewhere near Tinsley roundabout. My wife remembers helping out a few times whilst they had an evening off. The only customers were steelworkers.

Hi old yorkshire lad, do you know the address of the George?

There are quite a few in the Attercliffe area of that name , but I will try to find this one

that still existed in the 70s.

There was a George Inn on Rotherham Road , Parkgate it might still be there.

1944 John Edward Amies, haven't any 1970s dates yet.

Guest old yorkshire lad

It was definitely in the Atttercliffe area, or somewhere close. There were no houses anywhere near, it was in the middle of the steelworks. It was only a small pub with one room. The only customers were steelworkers. I do not know what beer they sold.

Have looked through various library books and on the internet and have found no information.

I suppose the only people who will remember are the steelworkers who used to go there. They were allowed so much time per shift for refreshment because of the work they did, probably working near furnaces.

Guest leksand

From the OP's description this can only really be one pub, but it's not in Sheffield and it's not called the George. The house in question, I believe, must be the Temple Hotel, Templeborough, now in use as offices, though stll extant as a building.

201903291715-P1190807-forSH.JPG.57768a8246871976a438341e3b0b479f.JPG

I think the confusion regarding the name may have arisen because the Temple bore a certain resemblance to another pub relatively proximate to it. The Royal George on Pitt Street, just off the top of Psalters Lane & Ferham Road, Holmes, was a larger pub but after the removal of it's front chimney and the covering of it's brickwork did not look entirely dissimilar, particularly when approaching from Holmes, to the aspect above. The Royal George has been demolished and it's site remained empty in 2019. Below is a photo from the Lost Pubs Project (https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/rotherham_royalgeorge.html), by way of illustrating the point.

rotherham_royalgeorge.jpg