Blake Street

RichardB

Not the usual stuff about how steep it is, but, an amusing snippet told to me by my father; he used to like a laugh. Oh, and a couple of maps, showing the location of Upperthorpe Cottages, and a bit of blurb about Blake Street history.

---------------------

There was at one time in Sheffield the tradition of a bicycle race up Blake Street, this was won one year by a one-legged Chinaman, riding a bamboo bicycle ! Even I, as a three year old, was not convinced of this one !

---------------------

In 1826 John Blake (Master Cutler in 1831) bought two pieces of land at Upperthorpe, totalling just over an acre. He built a square stone house with a stone porch, the house was called Upperthorpe Villa and had a garden laid out with trees, flowerbeds, a pedestal and a trough. After Blake's death the house was let to Ebenezer Elliott, the Corn Law Rhymer. It is now a listed building and there is a plaque recording Elliott's occupation of it 1834-1841. Elliott's statue stood in the Market Place from 1854 to 1875 when it was removed to Weston Park

1854, the land across the road from the Villa was opened up for development, Blake Street was constructed.

Initially the houses built on the frontage of Blake Street were detached and semi-detached houses with about a quarter of an acre for each plot. Later the type of property being built was more down market and the detached and semi-detached houses were replaced by terrace houses sometimes filling in the gaps.

The gardens of Upperthorpe Villa were also developed, cottage houses (Victoria Villas, still standing) built in their place.

----------------------------------

I wonder if there are any remains of Upperthorpe Cottages, I believe there is some sort of "Park" or community type area ? (Blake Street Nature Park ... apparently)

What is in the fenced off area, just near the bottom of Daniel Hill ? Just next to the "wash-house" near the library.

Not the usual stuff about how steep it is, but, an amusing snippet told to me by my father; he used to like a laugh. Oh, and a couple of maps, showing the location of Upperthorpe Cottages, and a bit of blurb about Blake Street history.

---------------------

There was at one time in Sheffield the tradition of a bicycle race up Blake Street, this was won one year by a one-legged Chinaman, riding a bamboo bicycle ! Even I, as a three year old, was not convinced of this one !

---------------------

In 1826 John Blake (Master Cutler in 1831) bought two pieces of land at Upperthorpe, totalling just over an acre. He built a square stone house with a stone porch, the house was called Upperthorpe Villa and had a garden laid out with trees, flowerbeds, a pedestal and a trough. After Blake's death the house was let to Ebenezer Elliott, the Corn Law Rhymer. It is now a listed building and there is a plaque recording Elliott's occupation of it 1834-1841. Elliott's statue stood in the Market Place from 1854 to 1875 when it was removed to Weston Park

1854, the land across the road from the Villa was opened up for development, Blake Street was constructed.

Initially the houses built on the frontage of Blake Street were detached and semi-detached houses with about a quarter of an acre for each plot. Later the type of property being built was more down market and the detached and semi-detached houses were replaced by terrace houses sometimes filling in the gaps.

The gardens of Upperthorpe Villa were also developed, cottage houses (Victoria Villas, still standing) built in their place.

I wonder if there are any remains of Upperthorpe Cottages, I believe there is some sort of "Park" or community type area ? (Blake Street Nature Park ... apparently)

What is in the fenced off area, just near the bottom of Daniel Hill ? Just next to the "wash-house" near the library.

Hi, just joined this site. The fenced off area is the Upperthorpe Peace Garden.

I have been trying to find out on SF if anyone knows when the handrails were installed on Blake St and if they were ever attached to the garden walls?

I can remember them there in the early 60s but OH says they were put up in the seventies. Several people on SF have agreed with me but OH is DETERMINED to be right!

Hi, just joined this site. The fenced off area is the Upperthorpe Peace Garden.

I have been trying to find out on SF if anyone knows when the handrails were installed on Blake St and if they were ever attached to the garden walls?

I can remember them there in the early 60s but OH says they were put up in the seventies. Several people on SF have agreed with me but OH is DETERMINED to be right!

Hi xfox3x Having married a girl that lived at the bottom of Blake Street in 1968 I should know this. We pushed prams up and down Blake Street for what seemed like forever, and we all agree that the handrails appeared in the early 70s. The mother-in-law still lives down there so I will call in and ask her next week. Regards, W/E.

Hi xfox3x Having married a girl that lived at the bottom of Blake Street in 1968 I should know this. We pushed prams up and down Blake Street for what seemed like forever, and we all agree that the handrails appeared in the early 70s. The mother-in-law still lives down there so I will call in and ask her next week. Regards, W/E.

The lady concerned is now 88 and has lived in the same house since she was 19. She says that the handrails were fitted in the early 70s and were a big help to her husband who was usually a little worse for wear on his way back from the Blake Hotel. The book "Walkley Camera" has a splendid shot of Blake Street taken in the early 60s with not a hand rail in sight. In WW2 the land at the side of the washhouse was used for the local air raid shelter and later became the Peace gardens. W/E.

The lady concerned is now 88 and has lived in the same house since she was 19. She says that the handrails were fitted in the early 70s and were a big help to her husband who was usually a little worse for wear on his way back from the Blake Hotel. The book "Walkley Camera" has a splendid shot of Blake Street taken in the early 60s with not a hand rail in sight. In WW2 the land at the side of the washhouse was used for the local air raid shelter and later became the Peace gardens. W/E.

Thanks for the info.....OH is now crowing 'cos he was 'right as usual' !! :blink:

Guest dunringill99

Hi

I lived on Blake Street from my birth in 1964 up to the late 80s.

The handrail was definately put up in the 70s and I remember my dad telling me about the races they had going up the street but I don't remember a story about a china man.

I remember the remains of cottage where we used to play on what we used to call 'the backs' - on the back on the houses on Boyce Street and the bottom half of Blake Street.

There was 3 shops, Barons at the top (smelt of boiled ham and a very odd family), Mrs Days at the bottom (good sweet shop) and Pickerings on the corner of Boyce Street, although I never remember this open, only their dog Louis attacking our dog 'Butch' once.

Ther were lot of shops at the top going towards the bottom of Fulton Rd, Toms the newsagenet, which was relocated near the Kelvin flats, a bakery, a DIY shop, a hairdressers and I think another pub opposite the Blake but a bit further up.

I also remember in the early 70s Slade making their film, Slade in Flame around the corner near the school one night.

I remember it still being cobbled and running down the street from Barons and falling and sliding for what seemed a long way on my belly - it was a right state!

Hi

I lived on Blake Street from my birth in 1964 up to the late 80s.

The handrail was definately put up in the 70s and I remember my dad telling me about the races they had going up the street but I don't remember a story about a china man.

I remember the remains of cottage where we used to play on what we used to call 'the backs' - on the back on the houses on Boyce Street and the bottom half of Blake Street.

There was 3 shops, Barons at the top (smelt of boiled ham and a very odd family), Mrs Days at the bottom (good sweet shop) and Pickerings on the corner of Boyce Street, although I never remember this open, only their dog Louis attacking our dog 'Butch' once.

Ther were lot of shops at the top going towards the bottom of Fulton Rd, Toms the newsagenet, which was relocated near the Kelvin flats, a bakery, a DIY shop, a hairdressers and I think another pub opposite the Blake but a bit further up.

I also remember in the early 70s Slade making their film, Slade in Flame around the corner near the school one night.

I remember it still being cobbled and running down the street from Barons and falling and sliding for what seemed a long way on my belly - it was a right state!

Welcome `dunringill99.` Did you live on the R/H side going up just before Boyce Street ? I remember watching them being demolished, they all fell down like a pack of cards. Regards. W/E.

Welcome `dunringill99.` Did you live on the R/H side going up just before Boyce Street ? I remember watching them being demolished, they all fell down like a pack of cards. Regards. W/E.

You mention another pub near the Blake, I think that was The Sportsman.

Guest dunringill99

Hi, I lived at no 68 and later at 70 - on the right hand side as you go up just after Boyce Street - the houses are still there

Guest dunringill99

Regarding the handrails - I remember my mother campaigning for the handrail and the grit bin - I remember a local councillor coming to the house - a woman, called Mulholland. My mum worked at Upperthorpe Infants around the corner

Plan of Freehold Land at Upperthorpe and an estate at Hollins, near Malin Bridge, in the hamlet of Stannington belonging to the trustees of the will of the late Thomas Blake, esquire. 1869.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y12220&pos=3&action=zoom&id=81601

Upperthorpe:

Lot 1. Four newly built dwelling houses situate at the foot of Blake Street .. in the occupation of Messrs Hemingway, Townsend, Clayton and Pechy, ... these houses are very well built and finished, and offer a most eligible investment.

Lots 2. Plot of building ground with a good frontage to Blake Street.

Lots 3. Building plot also fronting Blake Street.

Lot 4. Plot of building ground on the opposite, or north east side of Blake Street.

Lot 5. Ten freehold ground rents (the original particulars list the lessees'.

Hollins:

Lot 6. Farm house, outbuildings and garden ... at Hollins in the occupation of Benjamin Slack.

Lot 7. Grass land known as Near Back Field.

Lot 8. Grass lands known as Far Back Field.

Lot 9. Land called Hollins Bottom, fronting Spooner's Wheel Lane.

Lot 10. Land called Middle Hollins and land called Upper Hollins, both fronting Hollins Road.

Original at Sheffield Local Studies Library: Sale Plans 9 March 1869.