Spurious Article In Table Cutlery.

syrup

As not many people these days seem to be able to recognise steel and distinguish it from other metals perhaps there is a case for bringing this system of marking back!

The STEEL 3-tine fork pictured has a tang for fitting a handle, so the handle, not shown, could be wood, bone, ivory, plastic, composite or some other material.

Modern cast steel forks have no tang and the handle is the same casting as the fork itself, so the whole item is made of steel.

John Challiner of Grimesthorpe then ...

Challener, John (, Fork manufacturer(s)).

Residing at Grimesthorpe, Sheffield in 1846.

Recorded in: Slaters 1846 Directory, Sheffield.

Sheffield Indexers

Challiner, John Fork maker, Grimesthorpe

White's 1849

SheffieldRecordsOnline

--------------------------------

Challiner, John Fork maker, Grimesthorpe

White's 1852

SheffieldRecordsOnline

--------------------------------

Challiner John, fork mkr., Grimesthorpe

Whites 1857

What I find unusual about this given the date is that manufacturers at the time were strong on the distinction, cutlery was things with a cutting edge, i.e.knives; forks, spoons etc were tableware. Or was this a case of dumbing down for the general public?

What I find unusual about this given the date is that manufacturers at the time were strong on the distinction, cutlery was things with a cutting edge, i.e.knives; forks, spoons etc were tableware. Or was this a case of dumbing down for the general public?

Definately sounds like dumbing down Bayleaf.

Knives themselves are cutlery, - they have a cutting edge.

Forks could be classed as flatware as they were traditionally made by pressing them from a flat piece of metal

Spoons could be classed as hollowware as they are shaped to hold something

Collectively knives, forks and spoons are, as you say, tableware.

So wht are they sold collectively in a set called a "Canteen Of Cutlery"?

..and not a "Canteen Of Tableware".

"Canteen" is an interesting word, - it seems to be a collective noun for a group of pieces of tableware.

Guest burnisherboy

Hallo! First post on any subject in the Forum. I note that Joan Unwin has published a paper on this subject " Deceitful Wares" -the quality control of knives by the Searchers of the Company of Cutlers of Hallamshire ". Just Google it ! A mass of detail on this fascinating topic which has much to say about the reputation of the Sheffield makers and the steps taken to protect it. by 1843. burnisherboy

Hallo! First post on any subject in the Forum. I note that Joan Unwin has published a paper on this subject " Deceitful Wares" -the quality control of knives by the Searchers of the Company of Cutlers of Hallamshire ". Just Google it ! A mass of detail on this fascinating topic which has much to say about the reputation of the Sheffield makers and the steps taken to protect it. by 1843. burnisherboy

Welcome to SheffieldHistory burnisherboy,

here is the link you suggest www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web

Thanks.

And a very fine first post it is Burnisherboy. Welcome to the Site; great to have you "on board".

Thanks you for the lead and Thanks to Bignose for the link.

Welcome to Sheffield History burnisherboy and thank you for this excellent first post, already acknowledged by Steve and Richard.

With a username like "burnisherboy" I suspect somehow that you have experience and may have worked in the cutlery industry.

Guest burnisherboy

Thank you all very much for kind words for a first timer. I have worked with cutlery, flatware and hollow ware for many years and am now trying to get some insight into their makers. To help redress the impression that some Sheffield blades at this period were suspect I note the following from a catalogue issued by the London Silversmiths Griffin and Hyams c 1837." Dessert Fruit Knives And Forks Plated On Steel Warranted Sheffield make and not Birmingham." A strong indication to the London market that the firm was offering the best and although it seems that the Birmingham close plate trade was much larger at this time, Sheffield's products had the edge. Burnisherboy

Thank you all very much for kind words for a first timer. I have worked with cutlery, flatware and hollow ware for many years and am now trying to get some insight into their makers. To help redress the impression that some Sheffield blades at this period were suspect I note the following from a catalogue issued by the London Silversmiths Griffin and Hyams c 1837." Dessert Fruit Knives And Forks Plated On Steel Warranted Sheffield make and not Birmingham." A strong indication to the London market that the firm was offering the best and although it seems that the Birmingham close plate trade was much larger at this time, Sheffield's products had the edge. Burnisherboy

I sort of knew somehow that you had worked in the cutlery industry.

We look forward to reading more of your posts as it's always good to get someone posting who knows the business from the inside, as it were.

This is the type of round tang Cutlery I made in the early sixties, carver forks,steak forks, carver aids, pot forks, corn on the cob forks (which looked like arrow heads) scale tang forks, pickle forks, shrimp forks, olive forks, oyster forks, table forks & dessert forks. Thought the caption on the Pearl Handled fork states Grill Fork it is actually an Alma Tea Fork